Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Dimitri Rebrikov <di...@t-systems.com> on 2003/04/14 09:35:42 UTC

mod_jk hangs on ap_get_client_block (possibly a BUG)

Hi!

We have problems with broken POST-Requests that our Partner sends to us.
They are using the Software wrote by they own.(Not a Web-Browser).
We are using Apache, mod_ssl/openssl, mod_jk, Tomcat und servlets to Process they
Requests. The POST-Requests they sends have from time to time too big Content-Length
declaration that the Requests' Bodies real have.
Such requests hangs as long as the Partner shut it down (long time!).
The httpd.conf Timeout parameter seems to dont play any role here.
Many such requests from many partner's instanzes paralyze our System.
I know that such requests aren't conform and i don't expect that they be
processed correctly. I expect that such requests be kicked out after
defined timeout.

Our enviroment: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) mod_jk/1.2.2

We have tested on Linux/Sun with/without HTTPS with the same results.

I have analyzed the Sorce Code from mod_jk/Apache and log-Outputs with
following cognition:

It hangs as the mod_jk try to read out the Body of the Request
using "ap_get_client_block" APACHE-API-Function.

I have tried mod_cgi on the Place of mod_jk and found out that mod_cgi would
also block without ap_hard_timeout set just before ap_get_client_block.
(I can see it in the apache-error-log).

After that i made a Posting in the apache-dev-maillist with the question
about ap_hard_timeout before ap_get_client_block.

A Apache-Developer (Glenn) means that ap_hard_timeout or ap_soft_timeout is mandatory
before ap_get_client_block. Hier is a snip from his Responce-Mail:

 > Notwithstanding that, mod_jk should be setting ap_hard_timeout()
 > (or ap_soft_timeout()) before calling ap_get_client_block(), just
 > like mod_cgi does.  Anything that might block indefinitely should
 > have an alarm set around it.

The full discussion is here:

My question: Is it a BUG in mod_jk?

Thanks in advance