Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Alex Herbert <al...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/11 11:19:29 UTC

[RNG, ALL] Checkstyle version

I would like to upgrade the checkstyle version in commons-rng. Currently
the project uses maven-checkstyle-plugin 3.0.0 which defaults to
checkstyle 6.18.

This version is old [1] and not supported by modern IDEs. An update (to
version 8.x) would allow checkstyle to be run within the IDE and avoid
separate checks of the checkstyle report on the command line.

There is no management of the checkstyle version in commons-parent. I
would like to get a consensus on the versions used across commons and
any reason to not upgrade. There may be legacy reasons I am unaware of.

Regards,

Alex

[1] Circa April 2016 from the dates of the bugs fixed within the release
notes.

Re: [RNG, ALL] Checkstyle version

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Depending on how old the version of Checktyle you are currently using is,
you may have to update the contents of your checkstyle xml file to work
with the current version.

Gary

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Herbert <al...@gmail.com>.
commons-parent has an empty profile jdk7-plugin-fix-version that activates for Java 7.

I created a similar profile in the parent for commons-rng that activates for Java 8 and moved the checkstyle configuration into there. It now works with the latest checkstyle version.

So the target remains at 1.6 but developer tools can be up-to-date.

Alex

Posted by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net>.
Am 11.02.2019 um 22:15 schrieb sebb:
> Aren't there different profiles for different Java versions?
> There was at least one plugin which needed different versions, so
> maybe take the same approach here.
>
> It's a bit more work to set up the pom, but it saves a lot of work
> downstream fixing component poms and/or answering complaints that the
> build fails ...
+1, good idea

Re: [RNG, ALL] Checkstyle version

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 5:22 AM Alex Herbert <al...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> If checkstyle 7+ requires Java 8 then this is a blocker for common-rng.
> That still supports Java 1.6.

Java 6? Let's bump that to Java 7 if not 8.

Gary

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Le mar. 12 févr. 2019 à 11:22, Alex Herbert <al...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> If checkstyle 7+ requires Java 8 then this is a blocker for common-rng.
> That still supports Java 1.6.

This is the target (so that it can *run* on older JRE).
But the build/validation tools can well have different requirements.

> I did not intend to update commons-parent, only the project. The topic
> of the parent was introduced just to state that there was no management
> of checkstyle. The consensus appears to be that checkstyle versions are
> maintained on a project basis

No, I don't think that's the conclusion of this thread.
See answer/indications by Sebb on how to introduce management
at the parent level.

> and the version is possibly limited by
> their Java dependency.
>
> For now I will leave checkstyle config alone. Any project moving to Java
> 1.8 can upgrade.
>
> The current workaround to get functionality within an IDE is to maintain
> a local copy of the checkstyle.xml outside the source tree, updated for
> checkstyle 8, and point the IDE plugin at that.

Unless I'm missing something that needn't be so.

Regards,
Gilles

Posted by Alex Herbert <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.