Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@visi.com> on 2005/06/01 22:07:05 UTC

Re: Geronimo M4

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 11:16:44PM +0200, Stefan Arentz wrote:

> On May 26, 2005, at 9:26 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>
> >That would be great.  But a lot of our components are inseparable
> >at the moment.  Build-your-own-server is certainly a goal to shoot
> >for, but we'd need a lot of help getting there.
>
> What kind of help?

Sorry for the delayed response.   The kind of help I'm talking about is that we'd need several people actually trying to pull components apart to create a server with just what they want and working with us on the issues that pop up.  You'd also have to be willing to play code-surgeon and separate components that are very tightly coupled.

Also, feel free to ask people on the list for help if you like.  You don't need to be a committer to think of new ideas.  You don't need to be a committer to work on them.  You don't need to be a committer to ask for help in implementing them.  It's open source, this is your project too.

Ideally, we'd have a few pockets of people all innovating in different things and new people coming into the project would see that such a thing is ok and encouraged.  IMO, it's a good thing to make people sweat it out as a non-committer for a while as they are very good examples for other people who also want to get involved.  We need more of that.

-David