Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/01 03:09:29 UTC

Re: Forum outage

Hi all,

http://user.services.openoffice.org/

Now it's working :)

Thanks,
khirano

RE: Forum outage

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Hi Matt,

A mirror of the forums was brought up on Apache infrastructure.  It may need
some tweaking.  It also does not have a current image of the Forums, which
are still at <http://user.services.openoffice.org/>.

A technical migration activity depends on setting up server and forum
administration on the Apache system and performing the DNS magic to splice
it into the OpenOffice.org namespace in place of the current server.

Beside the logistical delays around that part of the migration, there are
some governance issues.  New Terms of Use need to be established and the
agreement and cooperation of the current administrators and moderators of
the forums is required.  Those last aspects are being discussed among the
Apache OpenOffice.org project and the current Forum operators.

You can see some of the attempt to narrow in on a mutually-acceptable
proposal at <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Changes+integrate+the+forums+into+the+AOOo+project>.  Look at the sidebar expando-tree for more information. At the present
time I think the next move is for the Forum operators to narrow in on
a proposal that is acceptable to them -- I think they are close based on
material that has been shared privately -- and then
indicate their willingness to have it happen.

My sense is that there are other options being considered.  I can only speak
to those that involve successful migration into the Apache OpenOffice.org
incubator.

 - Dennis

Posted by Matt Richards <mr...@gmail.com>.
I'm glad the forums service is back online within Oracle's hosting. It would
be nice to have some kind of alternative hosting plan for the forums, in the
event Oracle decides to stop the services they are providing. It does not
appear to be an easy task though, mostly due to heavy politics (forums are
full of them, thus I tent to avoid them personally). I have also noticed
over time in other projects, often users want to use forums or mailing
lists.. Rarely are there people that use both (as a couple have pointed out
within this thread). This is yet another pointless rambling other than to
highlight the point of having an alternative hosting plan sooner than later.

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> http://user.services.openoffice.org/
>
> Now it's working :)