Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Julian Moritz <ma...@julianmoritz.de> on 2010/03/16 19:20:16 UTC

Installing couchdb on Ubuntu

Hello,

I've just wanted to install couchdb on ubuntu. The problem is it wants
me to install libmozjs-dev, but then apt removes some very important
packages:

couchdb-bin desktopcouch eclipse eclipse-jdt eclipse-pde
eclipse-platform eclipse-plugin-cvs evolution-couchdb firefox
firefox-3.0 firefox-3.0-gnome-support firefox-3.5
  firefox-3.5-branding firefox-3.5-gnome-support firefox-gnome-support
galeon gnome-core gnome-user-guide gnome-user-guide-de
gnome-user-guide-en python-desktopcouch
  python-desktopcouch-records python-gnome2-extras python-gtkmozembed
serpentine ubufox ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-docs xulrunner-1.9.1
xulrunner-1.9.1-gnome-support yelp

How do I install couchdb on ubuntu without removing all those packages?

Regards
Julian

Re: Installing couchdb on Ubuntu

Posted by Matt Goodall <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 16 March 2010 19:05, Matt Goodall <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 March 2010 18:20, Julian Moritz <ma...@julianmoritz.de> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've just wanted to install couchdb on ubuntu. The problem is it wants
>> me to install libmozjs-dev, but then apt removes some very important
>> packages:
>>
>> couchdb-bin desktopcouch eclipse eclipse-jdt eclipse-pde
>> eclipse-platform eclipse-plugin-cvs evolution-couchdb firefox
>> firefox-3.0 firefox-3.0-gnome-support firefox-3.5
>>  firefox-3.5-branding firefox-3.5-gnome-support firefox-gnome-support
>> galeon gnome-core gnome-user-guide gnome-user-guide-de
>> gnome-user-guide-en python-desktopcouch
>>  python-desktopcouch-records python-gnome2-extras python-gtkmozembed
>> serpentine ubufox ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-docs xulrunner-1.9.1
>> xulrunner-1.9.1-gnome-support yelp
>>
>> How do I install couchdb on ubuntu without removing all those packages?
>
> This might help, although the version in the xulrunner directory names
> has changed since I wrote that.

"This" being the URL I forgot to paste in ;-).

http://matt.goodall.me/2009/09/build-couchdb-on-ubuntu-910-karmic.html

- Matt

Re: Installing couchdb on Ubuntu

Posted by Matt Goodall <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alan Bell <al...@theopenlearningcentre.com>.
Ubuntu has the desktopcouch application installed, this is used by
Ubuntu One (it replicates with a couchdb server in the cloud) and is
also used for replicatable firefox bookmarks, evolution contacts and all
the other stuff that you see being ripped out if the desktopcouch rug is
pulled. If you want to get to the local futon  then browse to
file:///home/USERNAME/.local/share/desktop-couch/couchdb.html
which *should* exist, but sometimes doesn't and you will be redirected
to the right port and be logged in
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/desktopcouch/Documentation/How_Desktopcouch_Works

Posted by Julian Moritz <ma...@julianmoritz.de>.
Hi,

Julian Moritz schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> all right, will try that. The main problem with the couchdb-package
> shipped with ubuntu is, that it is an old version, not the 0.10.1.

I did it with the following commands (had to modify the versions):

sudo apt-get install build-essential erlang-nox erlang-dev libicu-dev
xulrunner-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev

LD_RUN_PATH=/usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.1.8/ make
--with-js-lib=/usr/lib/xulrunner-devel-1.9.1.8/lib/
--with-js-include=/usr/lib/xulrunner-devel-1.9.1.8/include

LD_RUN_PATH=/usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.1.8/ make

sudo make install

just for the archives :-)

Regards and thanks to everyone!
Julian