Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Shinichi Yamashita <sh...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/08 15:23:41 UTC

How to change topology

Hi,

I know that DataNode and TaskTracker must restart to change topology.
Is there the method to execute the topology change without restart of
DataNode and TaskTracker?
In other words, can I change the topology by a command?

Thanks in advance!
Shinichi

Re: How to change topology

Posted by Shinichi Yamashita <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Steve,

Thank you for sharing information of JIRA with me.
Topology easy setting and confirmation will be necessary.
I use JIRA for an idea about toplogy setting and confirmation.

Regards,
Shinichi

Re: How to change topology

Posted by Shinichi Yamashita <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Steve,

Re: How to change topology

Posted by Shinichi Yamashita <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Steve,

Re: How to change topology

Posted by Shinichi Yamashita <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Steve,

Re: How to change topology

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Re: How to change topology

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Re: How to change topology

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Re: How to change topology

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Re: How to change topology

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
On 9 October 2012 16:51, Shinichi Yamashita <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>

> > no, it's the Namenode and JobTracker that needs to be restarted;
> > they are the bits that care where the boxes are.
>
> I confirmed it in my cluster, and I understood it as follows.
> First, the resolved node information is recorded in ConcurrentHashMap.
> Next same node toplogy decision, HashMap data is given priority to over a
> script.
> The HashMap data become invalid by restart of NameNode and JobTracker.

That's right. There's been lots of discussion on adding live topology
resetting.

There's also a large unfinished JIRA in my name to do better topology work
in Hadoop 2,

Including the ability to do local checks of a topology script

Supporting topology dump and reset from any of the manager nodes would come
after.

-steve

Re: How to change topology

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.