Posted to modproxy-dev@apache.org by Eli Marmor <ma...@netmask.it> on 2002/01/28 18:54:40 UTC

Transparent Proxy

Hi,

Does mod_proxy (the one which is included in the latest Apache 2.0
CVS) support Transparent Proxy?

If yes, then what is needed to activate it?

If no, what is needed to add such support?  Can I help?

--
Eli Marmor
marmor@netmask.it

Re: Transparent Proxy

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Eli Marmor wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> Is it possible that sometimes "Host:" will be missing?  (for example,
> under older versions of the HTTP protocol).

As far as I am aware, if host is missing, then there is nothing that can
be done, as the network transparent redirection would have hosed the
original IP address anyway. But this would only happen on ancient
clients.

Can anyone confirm this?

I know that HTTP v1.1 insists on the Host header being present, and
throws an error if it's missing, so I suppose a missing host header
would cause the server to barf anyway, so the transparent proxy
shouldn't be an issue.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street
						tonight..."

Re: Transparent Proxy

Posted by Eli Marmor <ma...@netmask.it>.
Graham Leggett wrote:

> Eli Marmor wrote:
>
> > Does mod_proxy (the one which is included in the latest Apache 2.0
> > CVS) support Transparent Proxy?
> >
> > If yes, then what is needed to activate it?
> >
> > If no, what is needed to add such support?  Can I help?
>
> I've no idea whether there is any low level network requirements to get
> this to work, however I'd imagine that to get it to work protocol-wise,
> we would just need to check that this:
>
> GET /blah HTTP/1.1
> Host: www.somewhere.com
>
> Would be interpreted correctly as:
>
> GET http://www.somewhere.com/blah HTTP/1.1
> Host: www.somewhere.com
>
> And would not generate an error for there being a missing domain within
> the URI...
>
> Sounds easy.

Thanks.

Is it possible that sometimes "Host:" will be missing?  (for example,
under older versions of the HTTP protocol).

If yes, then we probably have to implement this too (i.e. examining the
IP destination address or another information about the original IP
address of the destination, and insert it between the "http://" and the
"/blah").

What does the RFC say?

Re: Transparent Proxy