Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Thomas BELLEMBOIS <th...@univ-rennes1.fr> on 2004/08/31 11:44:18 UTC

Group management with a WEB service.

Hello !

I am working on a portal project based on the American portal called
"uPortal".
Our portal (called "ESUP portail") has its own group management system.
We have developped a web service (plugged in our portal) able to answer
the question "in which group is the user A".
We would like Slide to use this web service to know in what group is a
user and in this way to know if the user can access a ressource on the
Slide server.
Do we have to modify the source code of Slide (not very effective I think) ?
I have not found any interface or package to do this.
Any idea ?

Thanks.

Thomas

--
BELLEMBOIS Thomas
CRI, Université de Rennes 1

Re: Group management with a WEB service.

Posted by James Mason <ma...@apache.org>.
I think the easiest way to do this would be to provide your own
implementation of the Security interface. The only problem with this is
you won't be able to grant permissions in Slide to groups, since Slide
won't be able to see the groups directly. Either a custom store
implementation used only for the /roles node or an external process that
makes sure nodes exists in Slide for each group in your system should be
enough to solve that, though.

-James

Posted by James Mason <ma...@apache.org>.
Thomas,
Every object in Slide is identified by a URI. This is actually dictated
by the webdav layer. Check out
http://www.webdav.org/acl/protocol/draft-ietf-webdav-acl-13.htm for a
full description of how this relates to security.

The short of it is groups (or roles) contain members by referencing the
URIs for the members in their group-member-set property. In order for
Slide to "know" about your group memberships you will need to implement
a Store that exposes your groups and their memberships to Slide.

Note that implementing a Store is only necessary if you use the default
security implementation. If you provide your own security implementation
then you can call your webservice directly to get membership
information. The problem with this is the ACL for a file references
groups by using the URI for the group. Since your groups aren't
accessible at a URI you may run into problems (I say may, it could work
fine). If this is indeed a problem providing an empty node under /roles
for each of your groups will be enough. There's no need to keep
membership information in Slide since your security implementation
checks membership externally.

-James

Posted by Thomas BELLEMBOIS <th...@univ-rennes1.fr>.
Thanks for your answers !