Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Ramprakash Ramamoorthy <yo...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/10 14:35:34 UTC

TermsEnum close()

Dear all,

          We recently migrated from lucene 2.3.1 to lucene 4.1. We have a
custom facet implementation, which has also been migrated. We resorted to
stay with the same facet approach instead of moving to the taxonomy index
style faceting.

          But the problem is that, whenever we do a continuous/deep drill
down with the faceting module, we get a too many files open exception. This
does not happen when searching multiple times through the same index.

          One suspect is that we had a TernEnum.close() in the earlier
versions, whereas we don't have a TermsEnum.close() in the current version.
Is it the TermsEnum and/or DocsEnum that is occupying namespaces? Is there
a way to close the same? Please help. TIA.

--
With Thanks and Regards,
Ramprakash Ramamoorthy,

Re: TermsEnum close()

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
TermEnum.close() in past releases was a no-op I think, which is why it
was removed.

So not closing your TermsEnums should not cause any file handle leaking.

Are you sure you're closing all opened readers?  Does your index have
too many segments?  Are you not using CFS?

Try "lsof" to see which files are held open ...

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com