Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jim Walls <k6...@earthlink.net> on 2003/12/01 07:23:42 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Accessing Apache behind Router

Gohaku wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I've been trying to figure out how to access my webserver.
> I've configured Port Forwarding for ports 80 for a computer
> (192.168.1.10)
> I obtained the IP Address (23.100.200.160:80 ) which I tried to access
> but could not get a connection.
> I also added some lines to httpd.conf but Apache would not start.
> Listen 80
> Port 80

First step is to see if you have a firewall problem or an Apache
problem.  If you get onto a computer that is inside your firewall, can
you reach the Apache based web site?  For example, if you are on a
computer inside your firewall with an IP address of (for example)
192.168.1.101, and you enter 192.168.1.10 (the local IP address for your
web site), do you reach the web site.  If so, Apache is OK and you have
a router problem.  If you can not reach the website from inside your
firewall, you have an Apache problem.
The situation you are describing is exactly the same as mine.  My web
server is on a local IP address of 192.168.1.21, and is behind a LinkSys
NAT router (simple firewall).  I have the routere set up to forwward
port 80 requests to 192.168.1.21.  At this moment, my external IP
address (it's dynamic) is 4.41.61.33 so someone outside my firewall
would need to use that address to reach my web server - or one of the
two domains that are pointing to that IP address (at least until my
dynamic IP changes).

Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org
Ofc:  626-302-8515