Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Maxime Petazzoni <ma...@bulix.org> on 2006/01/10 17:56:38 UTC

mod_mbox helper scripts and programs

Hi,

First, I would like to bring back (again) the subject of mod_mbox
helper scripts and program on the table.

I understand why these scripts are important in order to maintain the
ASF mail archives website. These scripts call some helper programs
(actually contained in the trunk/module-2.0/ directory) to process the
mailbox files.

Unfortunately, these programs do not compile anymore due to some API
changes in the mbox_* files a while ago, and maybe even before the
Google's Summer Of Code (the problem comes from changes to lunece4c
related functions, that I did not touch). That's why I would like to
have more information about how the ASF archives are maintained, and
how can you make this work if the helper programs do not compile.

I guess you've been using binaries compiled long ago, before the API
breakage, but since a lot of improvments and changes in the APR during
this period of time, I just wonder how the whole thing can
work.

Next, I would like to make you notice that these scripts do not belong
the the module's source code because they are not useful and made for
the mod_mbox user (as an admin) but only for an internal purpose. Thus
I propose that we move the scripts directory one level up :

branches/
tags/
trunk/
scripts/

Since we do not release, tag or branch these scripts, this is not a
problem to break the traditionnal Svn schema here.

Finally, I would like to know your feelings about the surgery branch
that was created a few weeks ago : the module is operational and this
branch provide a cleaner and more evolutive directory structure, as
well as a complete untabification of the source code (blame my lack of
Emacs configuration on this point, this is now fixed once and for
all).

Personnaly, I would like to see these points solved and the surgery
branch merged back to trunk so I can create a 0.2.1 tarball and then
try to (finally) release it.

Thank you for your attention,
- Sam

--
Maxime Petazzoni (http://www.bulix.org)
 -- gone crazy, back soon. leave message.

Re: mod_mbox helper scripts and programs

Posted by Maxime Petazzoni <ma...@bulix.org>.
* Maxime Petazzoni <ma...@bulix.org> [2006-01-10 17:56:38]:

> Finally, I would like to know your feelings about the surgery branch
> that was created a few weeks ago : the module is operational and this
> branch provide a cleaner and more evolutive directory structure, as
> well as a complete untabification of the source code (blame my lack of
> Emacs configuration on this point, this is now fixed once and for
> all).
>
> Personnaly, I would like to see these points solved and the surgery
> branch merged back to trunk so I can create a 0.2.1 tarball and then
> try to (finally) release it.

And about this point, any comments ? It's not that the script war is
starting to get on my nerves, but I'd like to move on.

- Sam

Posted by Paul A Houle <ph...@cornell.edu>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 06:55:37PM +0100, Mads Toftum wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 09:51:36AM -0800, Paul Querna wrote:
>>
>>> Python!
>>>
>> Excellent choice - at least that way I won't have to even consider
>> trying ;)
>>

> Even Perl would be an improvement over zsh.  =)  -- justin

    I'd learn towards Perl.  You're more likely to find Perl installed
on a system than Python.

Re: mod_mbox helper scripts and programs

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 06:55:37PM +0100, Mads Toftum wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 09:51:36AM -0800, Paul Querna wrote:
>>> Python!
>> Excellent choice - at least that way I won't have to even consider
>> trying ;)
>
> Even Perl would be an improvement over zsh.  =)  -- justin
I realize I haven't been involved, but been reading this stuff.....

I'm voting PERL on the basis more that I think more people tend to be
familiar with it.  (including me :))

"Love is not the one you can picture yourself marrying,
but the one you can't picture the rest of your life without."

"I wanna hold ya till I die ... I wanna hold ya till the fear in me
subsides."

Re: mod_mbox helper scripts and programs

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.
On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 09:51:36AM -0800, Paul Querna wrote:
> Python!

Excellent choice - at least that way I won't have to even consider
trying ;)

vh

Mads Toftum

Re: mod_mbox helper scripts and programs

Posted by Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com>.
Mads Toftum wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 09:22:18AM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>> I think they do belong and should be included in a release.  Namely, I
>> don't buy Roy's arguments against including them.  The potential benefit to
>> understanding how mod_mbox works outweighs the slight cost of including
>> some small scripts.  If anyone ever bothers to rewrite them, more power to
>> them.  However, not including *any* documentation or examples in the
>> tarball seems much worse than excluding these scripts.
>>
> Agreed - they should at least be kept until there's a usable
> replacement either in the form of good docs or scripts rewritten to
> something slightly more commonly used than zsh.
> If "someone" were to contemplate making a general version of those
> scripts - what would have a reasonable chance of getting accepted? perl?
> ksh? C?

Python!

Re: mod_mbox helper scripts and programs

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 06:47:42PM +0100, Maxime Petazzoni wrote:
> * Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk> [2006-01-10 18:44:51]:
>
> > If "someone" were to contemplate making a general version of those
> > scripts - what would have a reasonable chance of getting accepted? perl?
> > ksh? C?
>
> I don't see why these scripts have to run with Zsh. They should be
> able to run with SH w/o problems.

sh is not powerful enough.  The scripts rely on a lot of features that are
only in zsh.

> If not, Perl would be indeed a better solution since it is more spread
> than Python.

If I were doing it again, I'd do it in Python.  But, don't let that dictate
the final decision.  =)  -- justin

Re: mod_mbox helper scripts and programs

Posted by Maxime Petazzoni <ma...@bulix.org>.

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.

Posted by Maxime Petazzoni <ma...@bulix.org>.
* Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> [2006-01-10 09:56:56]:

> On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 06:43:53PM +0100, Maxime Petazzoni wrote:
> > If one is able to build mod_mbox and make Apache use it, he is also
> > able to setup his archives as described in the online documentation.
>
> What documentation?  The mod_mbox pages on our website don't give any
> information on how to feed it with rsync.

Yeah, because the ASF is probably the only entity using mod_mbox for
his *own* archives, which are retreived via Rsync.

This is NOT the case of everybody. Just a few days ago, I received an
email from someone who set up mod_mbox succesfully from his
month-splitted mbox files. Do you see any rsync in there ?

Btw, you are making the same confusion with the scripts : they are for
ASF purposes only, or even for your purposes. Yeah, that's your
account name on the top of all of them.

> An example included in the tarball is worth a lot more than info on a
> website.  Also, bundling those docs from the website in the tarball would
> be a help too.  -- justin

+1 here. We should copy the mod_mbox/ directory from the website
before creating the tarball.

- Sam

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 06:43:53PM +0100, Maxime Petazzoni wrote:
> If one is able to build mod_mbox and make Apache use it, he is also
> able to setup his archives as described in the online documentation.

What documentation?  The mod_mbox pages on our website don't give any
information on how to feed it with rsync.

(And, there is *some* documentation in the scripts/README.)

Posted by Maxime Petazzoni <ma...@bulix.org>.
Hi,

* Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> [2006-01-10 09:22:18]:

> > I guess you've been using binaries compiled long ago, before the API
> > breakage, but since a lot of improvments and changes in the APR during
> > this period of time, I just wonder how the whole thing can
> > work.
>
> No.  The scripts use mod-mbox-util.

Hum, it's a bit strange to have this fallback to the helper programs,
anyway I'm pleased to know that this still works.

> > Next, I would like to make you notice that these scripts do not belong
> > the the module's source code because they are not useful and made for
> > the mod_mbox user (as an admin) but only for an internal purpose. Thus
> > I propose that we move the scripts directory one level up :
>
> I think they do belong and should be included in a release.  Namely, I
> don't buy Roy's arguments against including them.  The potential benefit to
> understanding how mod_mbox works outweighs the slight cost of including
> some small scripts.  If anyone ever bothers to rewrite them, more power to
> them.  However, not including *any* documentation or examples in the
> tarball seems much worse than excluding these scripts.

And having a bunch of non-understandable scripts is maybe worse : they
make mod_mbox looks complicated, something it is not.

Again, I don't see how these scripts help. There are not documented,
and they don't seem to do much more than an rsync, some
renaming/linking and calling mod-mbox-util. Having a dozen of scripts
doing basically the same thing, without any documentation on how they
work and on the mbox-archives.conf file you seem to provide them
... Nah, that's useless.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 05:56:38PM +0100, Maxime Petazzoni wrote:
> I understand why these scripts are important in order to maintain the
> ASF mail archives website. These scripts call some helper programs
> (actually contained in the trunk/module-2.0/ directory) to process the
> mailbox files.

No, they don't.  They can call either mod-mbox-util or the helper apps.  (I
really don't like mod-mbox-util - busybox still apps are awful and are
confusing to understand; but I obviously lost that battle.)

I think without these scripts mod_mbox is largely useless.  You need some
scripts to help generate the archives.  So, even though they are customized
for our setup, they are a help (in the category of 'better than nothing')
to users who would download mod_mbox to help understand how it all works
together to create a real archive site on the backend.

> I guess you've been using binaries compiled long ago, before the API
> breakage, but since a lot of improvments and changes in the APR during
> this period of time, I just wonder how the whole thing can
> work.

No.  The scripts use mod-mbox-util.

> Next, I would like to make you notice that these scripts do not belong
> the the module's source code because they are not useful and made for
> the mod_mbox user (as an admin) but only for an internal purpose. Thus
> I propose that we move the scripts directory one level up :

I think they do belong and should be included in a release.  Namely, I
don't buy Roy's arguments against including them.  The potential benefit to
understanding how mod_mbox works outweighs the slight cost of including
some small scripts.  If anyone ever bothers to rewrite them, more power to
them.  However, not including *any* documentation or examples in the
tarball seems much worse than excluding these scripts.

If we had a full on manual that explains how someone would set up a real
archive site with mod_mbox, and a useful README file, maybe I would think
differently - but we don't.  -- justin