Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by Ephraim Dan <E....@F5.com> on 2009/07/01 07:39:30 UTC

1. "stable release"? 2. Debug string for thrift objects?

Hi - I have 2 questions:

1. Are there any stable releases for thrift, i.e. something slightly more tested/stable than just checking out the "HEAD"?  Are there plans for starting any kind of release schedule with documented changes between releases, etc?  Is the interface going to be established or it's always subject to change?

2. I didn't see any debug print methods on thrift objects.  I.e. a way to "dump" the contents (deeply of course) of a thrift struct.  Protobuf has DebugString() - does thrift have anything like that?  It would be quite useful in my opinion - perhaps I just missed it?

Thanks
--edan

Re: 1. "stable release"? 2. Debug string for thrift objects?

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 12:39 AM, Ephraim Dan<E....@f5.com> wrote:
> Hi - I have 2 questions:
>
> 1. Are there any stable releases for thrift, i.e. something slightly more tested/stable than just checking out the "HEAD"?  Are there plans for starting any kind of release schedule with documented changes between releases, etc?  Is the interface going to be established or it's always subject to change?

That's being worked on.  Check the archives.

> 2. I didn't see any debug print methods on thrift objects.  I.e. a way to "dump" the contents (deeply of course) of a thrift struct.  Protobuf has DebugString() - does thrift have anything like that?  It would be quite useful in my opinion - perhaps I just missed it?

This is client-api dependent.  The generated Python classes all have
sane repr methods defined, for instance.  If your weapon of choice
does not, then it's relatively easy to patch the generator to create
the equivalent.

-Jonathan