Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Chantal Wobben <cw...@home.nl> on 2013/02/04 15:16:03 UTC

problem turning existing directory to a svn repo

Hello,

I found this tutorial :
http://masstransmit.com/garage_blog/create-svn-existing-project/
And I'm stuck with step 2.

I did

svnadmin create cinnamon-for-crux
After that I did

svn import cinnamon file:///cinnamon-for-crux -m "first import"
But then I see these error messages:

svn : Unable to connect to a repostory at url 'file:///cinnamon-for-crux
svn: Unable to open an ra local session to URL
svn: Unable to open repostory 'File:///cinnamon-for-crux

What am I doing wrong here ?

Roelof

Re: problem turning existing directory to a svn repo

Posted by Chantal Wobben <cw...@home.nl>.
Op 4-2-2013 15:32, Thorsten Schöning schreef:
> Guten Tag Chantal Wobben,
> am Montag, 4. Februar 2013 um 15:16 schrieben Sie:
>
>> svn : Unable to connect to a repostory at url 'file:///cinnamon-for-crux
>> svn: Unable to open an ra local session to URL
>> svn: Unable to open repostory 'File:///cinnamon-for-crux
>> What am I doing wrong here ?
> You need to provide the full path to the repo, not only it's name,
> which only is a directory name in the current directory where you
> issued svnadmin create.
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
>
> Thorsten Schöning

Oke,

So it must look like this svn import cinnamon
file://root/cinnamon-for-crux -m "first import"

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Chantal Wobben,

--
Thorsten Schöning       E-Mail:Thorsten.Schoening@AM-SoFT.de

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

Re: problem turning existing directory to a svn repo

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 04:08:31PM +0100, Chantal Wobben wrote:
> Thanks that worked.
> Next problem.
>
> The next step would be svn co /path/tp/repostory/projectname
> So for me it would be svn co /root/cinnamon-for-crux
>
> But then I see a error wrong arguments
>
> svn is driving me grazy I think.

Please take the time to read chapter 2 (Basic Usage) of the book:
  http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/index.html
The answers to your question have been written there already.

This list isn't the most efficient place to learn the basics of
using Subversion. This list is a great resource for cases where you
cannot find something in the book (and then people might again point
you back at the book; that's fine, sometimes it's not obvious where
to look), or especially if you have a specific issue you'd like to
discuss in depth (like, how to resolve a complicated merge conflict).

But please, don't bother this list too much with basic usage questions
that are covered in 'svn help' and the svnbook intro chapter.
Thanks for your understanding.

Re: problem turning existing directory to a svn repo

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Chantal Wobben,
am Montag, 4. Februar 2013 um 16:08 schrieben Sie:

> The next step would be svn co /path/tp/repostory/projectname
> So for me it would be svn co /root/cinnamon-for-crux

> But then I see a error wrong arguments

Because you need to provide an URl not a path, like you did in import:
file:/// or whatever.

> svn is driving me grazy I think.

Read the man pages of the commands you use.

svn help co

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

Posted by Chantal Wobben <cw...@home.nl>.