Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Luc GERARD <lu...@chtiwi.com> on 2003/05/04 13:02:35 UTC

[users@httpd] strange virtualhost configuration issue

Hi all,

Since many months, my Apache v1.3.27 is running correctly on a RedHat
7.2 ( that's good ), and I compiled it with only a few options such as
the --prefix to specify a different installation path. I start it
usually with the -f option to be sure to use the good config file ( it's
/conf/apache/httpd.conf ).
In this httpd.conf I use some virtualhost directives wich seem's to
works perfectly.

My problem: On a Slackware 8.1 recently installed, I compiled Apache
from the same tarball as the one I used for the other computer, with the
same installation options ( --prefix, --sysconfdir, who are in the same
directory as previously ). After that, I made a copy of the first
httpd.conf and tried to use it by starting Apache with the -f option to
be sure of wich conf file it read.
The strange issue is that the virtualhost configuration seems to be
simply ignored. On the redhat, the same configuration works correctly again.

I'm certainly missing something as big as I'm in my configuration, but I
can't figure out what,
so here are the things I checked for and more informations on my
specific configuration and what's happen:

- On the Redhat and the Slackware, Apache 1.3.27 is compiled from the
same tarball.
- Results of tests on the syntax:
    * httpd -t -f /the/good/conf/file: Syntax ok
    * httpd -S -f /the/good/conf/file:
    x.x.x.x:80        a.domain.wich.respond.on.1ip.only.com
    wildcard NameVirtualHosts and _default_ servers:
    *:80                   is a NameVirtualHost
    default server * (/conf/apache/httpd.conf:227)
    port 80 namevhost * (/conf/apache/httpd.conf:227)
    port 80 namevhost www.site1.com
    port 80 namevhost www.site2.com
    ...etc
- The logs:
    * access :
    x.x.x.x - - [03/May/2003:12:52:47 +0200] "GET http://www.site1.com/
HTTP/1.1" 200 - "-" "a_web_browser"
    * errors: nothing.

And now the syntax I used to write my vhost configuration:
******************************
NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost *:80>
    DocumentRoot  /good/path/readable/by/all
    ServerName *
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *:80>
    DocumentRoot /good/path/readable/by/all
    ServerName www.site1.com
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost x.x.x.x:80> # a particular ip
    DocumentRoot /good/path/readable/by/all
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *:80>
    DocumentRoot /good/path/readable/by/all
    ServerName www.site2.com
</VirtualHost>

I'll be happy to have any ideas who can helps me to resolve that strange
issue :o/

Thanks in advance for your consideration,
Luc GERARD

N.B: English isn't my native language, so if you can, ignore my
grammatical errors in this e-mail.