Posted to user@flink.apache.org by otherwise777 <wo...@onzichtbaar.net> on 2016/11/16 11:24:39 UTC

33 segments problem with configuration set

Hello Community,

I'm trying to make a function to determine the betweenness of the Vertices
in a Graph. I'm using Gelly for this and a custom shortestpath function
This is my input graph:  http://prntscr.com/d7y51y
<http://prntscr.com/d7y51y>

What i've done is use collect() on the vertice values and loop over the list
to determine the shortest path from those nodes to the rest of the nodes, in
the loop i use a Union function to put everything in one big DataSet called
"collectionDataSet"
Here's the code:  http://paste.thezomg.com/19919/79295357/
<http://paste.thezomg.com/19919/79295357/>

After the 9th iteration i get the error: Too few memory segments provided.
Hash Table needs at least 33 memory segments.
I had this problem before, and it was fixed by increasing the
TASK_MANAGER_NETWORK_NUM_BUFFERS_KEY. Currently that's at 16000 after
increasing it a couple of times, but the error keeps popping up after the
9th iteration.
When i don't use the Union the error won't pop up

The full stack trace can be found here:
http://paste.thezomg.com/19921/79296084/
<http://paste.thezomg.com/19921/79296084/>

I tried different methods like using a join, or using reduce right after the
union, but it didn't change anything on the result.
Are there other settings i need to adjust? And why is this exactly happening

Re: 33 segments problem with configuration set

Posted by otherwise777 <wo...@onzichtbaar.net>.
Hello Vasia,

thank you for your fast reply,

I am aware that determining the betweenness is very demanding, however i
still want to give a try at it to a certain extent in Flink, not using Flink
is currently not an option since my project is partly about Flink.

I will rethink my login, i guess it's back to the drawing board

Re: 33 segments problem with configuration set

Posted by Vasiliki Kalavri <va...@gmail.com>.
Dear Wouter,

first of all, as I noted in another thread already, betweenness centrality
is an extremely demanding algorithm and a distributed data engine such as
Flink is probably not the best system to implement it into. On top of that,
the message-passing model for graph computations would generate an enormous
amount of messages which translates to high memory requirements.

Now, looking at your code, there is a nested loop, which Flink cannot
handle. That is, you have a for-loop and inside that you're running a Flink
iteration. Neither for-loops nor nested loops are currently supported in
Flink, thus, I believe you will have to re-think the logic of your
algorithm.

Cheers,
-Vasia.

Posted by otherwise777 <wo...@onzichtbaar.net>.