Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/23 15:07:34 UTC

How to check Velocity version?

How can one check the Velocity version from an Ant script?

I had a problem with Anakia generating the wrong line endings on
Linux; turned out it was due to Ant picking up the wrong version of
the Velocity jar.

It would be useful if one could check the version and report an error
if the version is earlier than  1.5 (say).

Re: How to check Velocity version?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 02/06/2008, Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to check the manifest file?

Neat idea!

A manifest resource can be loaded using

<javaresource name="META-INF/MANIFEST.MF" classpath="${velocity.jar}"/>

but when I tried this it found one of the JVM manifests rather than
the velocity one.

I then tried <zipentry> instead, and this works:

<loadresource property="implementation.version">
<zipentry name="META-INF/MANIFEST.MF" archive="${velocity.jar}"/>
<filterchain>
<linecontains>
<contains value="Implementation-Version: "/>
</linecontains>
<tokenfilter>
<!-- Remove all but the revision number -->
<replaceregex pattern=".+: " replace=""/>
</tokenfilter>
</filterchain>
</loadresource>
<echo>${implementation.version}</echo>

However, this only applies if the script knows the name of the velocity jar.

If the jar is only available via a classpath, it gets a lot harder.

Maybe there should be an Ant task to look up / parse manifests...

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
That's what I ended up doing:

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net>.