Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Per Olesen <po...@nordija.com> on 2003/09/19 21:23:12 UTC

Volunteering: ejclientjar task missing? I want to write it

Hi,

I've often missed a task for generating a ejb clientjar. Ant already includes
a "ejbjar" task, but - as far as I know - no way of generating a ejb
clientjar from a generic ejbjar as input/source.

I hereby volunteer to write one myself !

I've read the guidelines on the web for how to contribute etc., but I'm not
clear precisely how to start this up.

Should I start by sending a description on this list of how I would implement
it (how it should work) or should I make a bugzilla report as a request for
enhancement and then grab it myself (may I even grab an issue? I have not
contributed to ant before).

I can also just write it like I would like it to work, and then submit the
patch for it. But then I first get your valuable input after I've done the
implementation.

Also: Should I develop against 1.6? I can see that there is a proposal for
starting a release-plan for 1.6. Might not make it into 1.6 then. Is there a
2.0 on the way? (there is a 2.0 name in bugzilla).

Regards, Per Olesen

--
Per Olesen @ Nordija A/S - www.nordija.com - main#: +45 70 20 25 10
email: polesen@nordija.com - cell#: +45 23 38 95 81

Re: AW: Volunteering: ejclientjar task missing? I want to write it

Posted by Per Olesen <po...@nordija.com>.
Hi Antoine,

> If this is a standard J2EE requirement, and if the task is really not
> covered yet, then it is certainly in the scope of ant.

The ejb-client-jar certainly is a concept of the EJB2.0 spec, but it is not a
mandatory element to use for a ejb developer. Still, it is a well-known
concept which many use, so I think it would fit into the optional package.

> It is OK that you discuss on the list how you want to implement the task.
> Maybe there are also some J2EE discussion groups where you can also get
> some ideas.

I do not know if there are anyone using J2EE listening which can comment on
this, but here is what I am currently working on:

A task, called "ejbclient", which takes a "srcdir" attribute which is where
ejb-jar files are searched for, and a "destdir" attribute, where generated
ejb-client-jar files are written to.

Inside the task, one can give a "classpath" element for where to find
dependent classes. In addition, the "ejbclient" task is to inherit from
MatchingTask, which makes it possible to find the input ejb-jar files using a
contained fileset.

The input ejb-jar files found will have their ejb-jar.xml files parsed and the
public classes are analyzed for dependencies using BCEL. From this, a output
ejb-client.jar file is written, with all ejb client-view classes.

Comments and ideas are very welcome!

Here is a (preliminary) example of usage:

  <target name="test1" depends="init">
    <ejbclientjar srcdir="${testejbs.dir}/test1" destdir="${build.dir}">
       <classpath>
          <pathelement location="${build.dir}/classes" />
       </classpath>
       <include name="**/*.jar" />
    </ejbclientjar>
  </target>

Regards, Per Olesen

Re: Volunteering: ejclientjar task missing? I want to write it

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Per Olesen <po...@nordija.com> wrote:

> Just wanted to know, if I should be doing something active from now
> on,

lobbying.

> or just wait till some of you with commit-access have the time to
> look at it?

Right now we are mainly busy with getting the 1.6 rlease out of the
door.  Whether a new task would be included in that release is mostly
Antoine's call as he is the release manager.

I, for example, am completely ignorant of EJBs and wouldn't judge
whether the task should be included in Ant at all.

Stefan

Re: AW: AW: Volunteering: ejclientjar task missing? I want to write it

Posted by Per Olesen <po...@nordija.com>.
Hi,

On Friday 26 September 2003 11:48, Antoine Lévy-Lambert wrote:
> first thanks for having prepared a submission.

My pleasure! :-)

> Second, we are planning to release 1.6 beta next week, so we are not keen
> on taking on new stuff immediately. Now there should not be any problem to
> add your task to 1.7. Maybe even to 1.6.1, but I am not sure whether the
> other committers agree to the principle of adding new tasks in minor
> versions.

Ok! I've just submitted a new patch, which includes some more functionality,
test and docs on the task.

Maybe someone has the time to have a look at the task now?

I'm really missing the task myself, and would like to see it in ant. Maybe it
could get into 1.7, and if it works ok, it can be considered for 1.6.1?

> It is useful that you chime in on the dev list to push us to study and then
> submit your patches. Do not be afraid of being noisy or pushy.

Well, I'm doing that now then :-)

Maybe there is someone, which have taken care of the ejb-tasks before? Cvs
tells me that the ejbjar task was committed by a Tim Fennel !?

regards, Per Olesen

AW: AW: Volunteering: ejclientjar task missing? I want to write it

Posted by Per Olesen <po...@nordija.com>.
Hi,

> When you have something ready, a report in bugzilla with the new files
> attached to it as a tar or a tar.gz + a patch file made with cvs diff -u
> for changes to existing code is what we like. Please include documentation
> and test cases.

With the risk of upsetting some of you busy developers of ant, I ask to the
status of my submission of a new ejbclientjar task patch.

I'm new to submitting stuff to ant, so I'm not quite sure whats happens now.
I've submitted a patch in bugreport 23396, with tests, docs and stuff, but is
there a proces where someone regularly looks at these new submissions and
determines if they go in or not?

Just wanted to know, if I should be doing something active from now on, or
just wait till some of you with commit-access have the time to look at it?

Regards, Per

--
Per Olesen @ Nordija A/S - www.nordija.com - main#: +45 70 20 25 10
email: polesen@nordija.com - cell#: +45 23 38 95 81

>I've often missed a task for generating a ejb clientjar. Ant already
includes
>a "ejbjar" task, but - as far as I know - no way of generating a ejb
>clientjar from a generic ejbjar as input/source.

If this is a standard J2EE requirement, and if the task is really not
covered yet, then it is certainly in the scope of ant.

>I hereby volunteer to write one myself !

Contributions are always welcome.

>Should I start by sending a description on this list of how I would
implement
>it (how it should work) or should I make a bugzilla report as a request for
>enhancement and then grab it myself (may I even grab an issue? I have not
>contributed to ant before).

It is OK that you discuss on the list how you want to implement the task.
Maybe there are also some J2EE discussion groups where you can also get some
ideas.
When you have something ready, a report in bugzilla with the new files
attached to it as a tar or a tar.gz + a patch file made with cvs diff -u for
changes to existing code is what we like. Please include documentation and
test cases.

>I can also just write it like I would like it to work, and then submit the
>patch for it. But then I first get your valuable input after I've done the
>implementation.
>
>Also: Should I develop against 1.6? I can see that there is a proposal for
>starting a release-plan for 1.6. Might not make it into 1.6 then. Is there
>2.0 on the way? (there is a 2.0 name in bugzilla).

You should definitively develop against CVS_HEAD which is currently also
ant1.6alpha and will soon become ant1.7alpha. There is no 2.0 on the way.

Antoine