Posted to dev@daffodil.apache.org by "Sloane, Brandon" <bs...@tresys.com> on 2019/12/05 21:56:33 UTC

DFDL spec "Known to Exist"

Following the recent discussion on the user-list, I read through some of the spec, and came across this section of 9.3.1.1:

If none of those hold because they are not applicable then the occurrence is still known-to-exist if ALL of the following hold, and no processing error occurs during their determination:

There are dfdl:asserts with failureType 'processingError' on the component and all their expressions evaluate to true or their regular expression patterns match,

It has nil, empty, or normal representation

When it has normal representation, this of course implies that the content of the representation is convertible to the element type without error.

I believe there is an error in the highlighted portion. I think what this is trying to say is that all dfdl:asserts must evalute to true or pattern match. In particular, a component can be known to exist even if it has no asserts. Am I misunderstanding something here?

Brandon T. Sloane

Associate, Services

bsloane@tresys.com | tresys.com

Re: DFDL spec "Known to Exist"