Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Mike Z <mz...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/02 01:19:29 UTC

TaxWare status of 9.04

Does anyone actively use TaxWare on 9.04?  If so, are you satisfied
with it?  Since I live in WA state, I would have to charge
deistination tax to customers.  Can TaxWare properly support WA state?
 There are 350 different sales tax jurisdictions in WA state, each
requiring monthly/quarterly reporting.

Are there any other sales tax solutions available besides TaxWare and
ZipSales, that are not part of SVN?  From what I can gather, ZipSales
is no longer available.

Comments?

Thanks

Re: TaxWare status of 9.04

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Inline

Mike Z sent the following on 7/12/2010 10:06 PM:
> I've been slowly trying to figure this out this structuring of the GL
> for WA state, and I need a little advice.  For a given county in WA
> state (I'll use Pierce) there are currently 30 tax jurisdictions.
> Sample:
>
> "Location","County","Location Code","Local Rate","State
> Rate","Combined Sales Tax","King County Food&  Beverage",""
> "DuPont","Pierce",2704,0.028,0.065,0.093,"",""
> "Eatonville","Pierce",2705,0.013,0.065,0.078,"",""
> "Edgewood","Pierce",2720,0.028,0.065,0.093,"",""
>
> And here is how the GL looks (based on Demo):
>
> 200000 LIABILITIES 0
>    220000 ACCRUED EXPENSES 0
>      224000 SALES TAX COLLECTED 0
>        224100 SALES TAX COLLECTED USA 0
>          224155 SALES TAX COLLECTED USA - VT 0
>          224156 SALES TAX COLLECTED USA - WA 0<--- TAX = 6.5%
>            224xxx SALES TAX COLLECTED USA - WA  Pierce County 0
>              224xxx SALES TAX COLLECTED USA - Pierce County - Dupont
> 2704 0<- TAX = 2.8%
>              224xxx SALES TAX COLLECTED USA - Pierce County -
> Eatonville 2705 0<- TAX = 1.3%
>              224xxx SALES TAX COLLECTED USA - Pierce County - Edgewood
> 2720 0<- TAX= 2.8%
>          224157 SALES TAX COLLECTED USA - WI 0
>        224200 SALES TAX COLLECTED CAN 0
>        225000 ACCRUED USE TAX 0
>        226000 ACCRUED RETIREMENT PLAN EXPENSE 0
>        229000 OTHER ACCRUED EXPENSES 0
>
> So I'm wondering two things.  If I need/should place the "Pierce
> County" sub-category, even though I won't be collecting tax at this
> level.  Will I be sorry later if I exclude it?  If I do include it,
> will the accounting module somehow calculate the cumulative tax at
> this level, based on it's sub-categories (2704, 2705, 2720)?

The GL is a summary collection of all monies. Basically all monies need
to balance(debit/cedit) for you balance sheet.
you will have to write code to pull data from the GL and calculate, to
send your reports. that is what determines how detailed you get. but
from a balance sheet perspective as long as you have a debit item for
each credit item. you are fine. like tax due is were you debit and the
GL items you added would be credit so they balance.

> Another issue is the current numbering scheme.  Currently, it can't
> support multiple sub-categories at the state level.  Are there any
> recommendations based on the upcoming sales tax issues we'll
> experience in the future?

As stated this is demo the limiting factor for numbering is the field
size defined in the field definition of the db. this usally is set to
the lowest denominator, like 30 due to the mysql limitation, for the
demo data.

the other is to understand how ofbiz does subaccounts.

> Should the Demo GL data file (I'm using 9.04) be changed?  As it's
> currently deployed/numbered, it can't support the sample UT county ZIP
> code sample, which I used to figure all this out.
no The GL should be massaged before being used.

The Demo has accounts in it for sole proprietorship, Corporations. they
should be pruned based on the organiztion and should be reviewed by the
accountant the organization is going to use so the information the
accountant needs is setup correctly.

in my experience this is the longest task to get accomplished in setting
up any application that has accounting.

Re: TaxWare status of 9.04

Posted by Mike Z <mz...@gmail.com>.

Re: TaxWare status of 9.04