Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by James Higginbotham <jh...@betweenmarkets.com> on 2003/05/09 02:35:14 UTC

Quick Survey of Slide Usage

Hi,

I was hoping that everyone using Slide would answer a few questions so
that we could see where our common usage scenarios lie. Simply Mark an X
next to your selection. If you can't release all information do to a
NDR, please provide as much as you can. This survey will simply be used
to gather information about how others, like myself, may be using Slide
so that we might be able to exchange implementation strategies and
common code (if allowed). If nothing else, it may help the Slide
volunteers better understand how they may need to focus their attention
on new features. Your contact information will not be released, this
will not be used in any formal study, but I may submit an email in the
future with the general results (if people are interested).

1. How do you interact with Slide?
    A. I use the low-level APIs (org.apache.slide.*) only and don't care
about WebDAV
    B. I use the WebDAV (or WebDAV + Delta/V) API via HTTP
    C. I use both low-level and WebDAV APIs
    D. Other (please explain)

2. What kind of client interacts with Slide?
    A. I use a custom web-based interface
    B. I use a WebDAV-compliant client
    C. I use a custom in-house application that is not web-based (please
explain)
    D. Other (please explain)

3. What is the license for your project?
    A. Closed Source, commercial
    B. Closed Source, non-commercial (freeware or I.T. shop)
    C. Open Source (please state license used)
    D. Other (please explain)

4. How much time do you spend on your project that uses Slide?
    A. Full-time (its a product, my daily job)
    B. Part-time (its part of my week, but not a full time dedicated
role I play)
    C. After-hours (its a side project that I'm working on right now)
    D. Other (please explain)

5. The one thing that I'd change or improve about Slide is.... (please
explain in as much detail if possible)

Your time is much appreciated!
James

Re: Quick Survey of Slide Usage

Posted by Martin Holz <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>.
"James Higginbotham" <jh...@betweenmarkets.com> writes:

> 1. How do you interact with Slide?
>     A. I use the low-level APIs (org.apache.slide.*) only and don't care
> about WebDAV
>     B. I use the WebDAV (or WebDAV + Delta/V) API via HTTP
X     C. I use both low-level and WebDAV APIs
X     D. Other (please explain)
I use the Cocoon slide source

> 2. What kind of client interacts with Slide?
X     A. I use a custom web-based interface
X     B. I use a WebDAV-compliant client
>    C. I use a custom in-house application that is not web-based (please
> explain)
>     D. Other (please explain)
>
> 3. What is the license for your project?
X     A. Closed Source, commercial
>     B. Closed Source, non-commercial (freeware or I.T. shop)
>     C. Open Source (please state license used)
>     D. Other (please explain)

> 4. How much time do you spend on your project that uses Slide?
X     A. Full-time (its a product, my daily job)
>     B. Part-time (its part of my week, but not a full time dedicated
> role I play)
>     C. After-hours (its a side project that I'm working on right now)
>     D. Other (please explain)
>
> 5. The one thing that I'd change or improve about Slide is.... (please
> explain in as much detail if possible)

A better documentation of internals and feedback to bug reports. I am often
not sure, if something is a bug or if I did not understand how Slide works.

--
Martin Holz     <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>

Softwareentwicklung / Vernetztes Studium - Chemie
FIZ CHEMIE Berlin
Franklinstrasse 11
D-10587 Berlin

Re: Quick Survey of Slide Usage

Posted by Michael Hager <ha...@artindustrial.com>.
James Higginbotham wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I was hoping that everyone using Slide would answer a few questions so
>that we could see where our common usage scenarios lie. Simply Mark an X
>next to your selection. If you can't release all information do to a
>NDR, please provide as much as you can. This survey will simply be used
>to gather information about how others, like myself, may be using Slide
>so that we might be able to exchange implementation strategies and
>common code (if allowed). If nothing else, it may help the Slide
>volunteers better understand how they may need to focus their attention
>on new features. Your contact information will not be released, this
>will not be used in any formal study, but I may submit an email in the
>future with the general results (if people are interested).
>
>1. How do you interact with Slide?
>  X A. I use the low-level APIs (org.apache.slide.*) only and don't care
>about WebDAV
>    B. I use the WebDAV (or WebDAV + Delta/V) API via HTTP
>    C. I use both low-level and WebDAV APIs
>    D. Other (please explain)
>
>2. What kind of client interacts with Slide?
>  X A. I use a custom web-based interface
>    B. I use a WebDAV-compliant client
>    C. I use a custom in-house application that is not web-based (please
>explain)
>    D. Other (please explain)
>
>3. What is the license for your project?
>    A. Closed Source, commercial
>    B. Closed Source, non-commercial (freeware or I.T. shop)
>    C. Open Source (please state license used)
>  X D. Other (please explain)
>     Not sure yet, will probably make it open source under LGPL
>
>4. How much time do you spend on your project that uses Slide?
>    A. Full-time (its a product, my daily job)
>  X B. Part-time (its part of my week, but not a full time dedicated
>role I play)
>    C. After-hours (its a side project that I'm working on right now)
>    D. Other (please explain)
>
>5. The one thing that I'd change or improve about Slide is.... (please
>explain in as much detail if possible)

Attact users and developers! communicate better. Slide is such a
fantastic thing - but I guess hardly anyone knows about it - no News on
the jakarta page, no release plans or dates for release 2. However - the
product itself is excellent work. Thank you for sharing it with the
community.

>Your time is much appreciated!
>James

DI Michael Hager
:: artindustrial informationstechnologien GmbH
:: Mariahilfer Straße 111 Top 6
:: A-1060 Vienna,Austria,EU
:: email: hager@artindustrial.com
:: phone: ++43 1 5954023

Re: Quick Survey of Slide Usage

Posted by Marc Sommer <ma...@schlund.de>.
Am Fre, 2003-05-09 um 02.35 schrieb James Higginbotham:
> 1. How do you interact with Slide?
>     A. I use the low-level APIs (org.apache.slide.*) only and don't care
> about WebDAV
>     B. I use the WebDAV (or WebDAV + Delta/V) API via HTTP
>   X C. I use both low-level and WebDAV APIs (with the low level api
>     we have to synchronize users and groups with another application)
>     D. Other (please explain)
>
> 2. What kind of client interacts with Slide?
>   X A. I use a custom web-based interface
>   X B. I use a WebDAV-compliant client
>   X C. I use a custom in-house application that is not web-based (please
> explain) we will use a java-application to manage users, groups, acls,...
>     D. Other (please explain)
>
> 3. What is the license for your project?
>   X A. Closed Source, commercial
>     B. Closed Source, non-commercial (freeware or I.T. shop)
>     C. Open Source (please state license used)
>     D. Other (please explain)
>
> 4. How much time do you spend on your project that uses Slide?
>     A. Full-time (its a product, my daily job)
>   X B. Part-time (its part of my week, but not a full time dedicated
> role I play)
>     C. After-hours (its a side project that I'm working on right now)
>     D. Other (please explain)
>
> 5. The one thing that I'd change or improve about Slide is.... (please
> explain in as much detail if possible)

importing a lot of users and groups via the Domain.xml caused a
logsuspend of the sybase-db and took hours.
more documentation and examples would be great :-)

Re: Quick Survey of Slide Usage

Posted by "B. Shadgar" <sh...@compsci.bristol.ac.uk>.
James Higginbotham wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was hoping that everyone using Slide would answer a few questions so
> that we could see where our common usage scenarios lie. Simply Mark an X
> next to your selection. If you can't release all information do to a
> NDR, please provide as much as you can. This survey will simply be used
> to gather information about how others, like myself, may be using Slide
> so that we might be able to exchange implementation strategies and
> common code (if allowed). If nothing else, it may help the Slide
> volunteers better understand how they may need to focus their attention
> on new features. Your contact information will not be released, this
> will not be used in any formal study, but I may submit an email in the
> future with the general results (if people are interested).
>
> 1. How do you interact with Slide?
>     A. I use the low-level APIs (org.apache.slide.*) only and don't care
> about WebDAV
>     B. I use the WebDAV (or WebDAV + Delta/V) API via HTTP
>     XC. I use both low-level and WebDAV APIs
>     D. Other (please explain)
>
> 2. What kind of client interacts with Slide?
>     XA. I use a custom web-based interface
>     B. I use a WebDAV-compliant client
>     C. I use a custom in-house application that is not web-based (please
> explain)
>     D. Other (please explain)
>
> 3. What is the license for your project?
>     A. Closed Source, commercial
>     XB. Closed Source, non-commercial (freeware or I.T. shop)
>     C. Open Source (please state license used)
>     D. Other (please explain)
>
> 4. How much time do you spend on your project that uses Slide?
>     A. Full-time (its a product, my daily job)
>     XB. Part-time (its part of my week, but not a full time dedicated
> role I play)
>     C. After-hours (its a side project that I'm working on right now)
>     D. Other (please explain)
>
> 5. The one thing that I'd change or improve about Slide is.... (please
> explain in as much detail if possible)

Slide documentations are too poor to undrestand its structure. Also, I
would defenitly prefer a rubust version rather that nightly release. The
one currently exists is Slide1.0.16, and it is more than a year that it
hasn't changed. Now Slide1.0.16 is far behind the current nigtly realeas,
but still a calm silence to promot new version of slide!

Posted by Albert Jan de Vries <al...@topicus.nl>.
1. How do you interact with Slide?
    A. I use the low-level APIs (org.apache.slide.*) only and don't care
about WebDAV
    B. I use the WebDAV (or WebDAV + Delta/V) API via HTTP
    C. I use both low-level and WebDAV APIs
X D. Other (please explain) --> proposal implementation (JCR) level one

2. What kind of client interacts with Slide?
    A. I use a custom web-based interface
    B. I use a WebDAV-compliant client
    X C. I use a custom in-house application that is not web-based (please
explain) --> cms-framework
    D. Other (please explain)

3. What is the license for your project?
    A. Closed Source, commercial
    B. Closed Source, non-commercial (freeware or I.T. shop)
    X C. Open Source (please state license used) --> open source BSD (not
yet public)
    D. Other (please explain)

4. How much time do you spend on your project that uses Slide?
    X A. Full-time (its a product, my daily job) --> it's a student project
    B. Part-time (its part of my week, but not a full time dedicated
role I play)
    C. After-hours (its a side project that I'm working on right now)
    D. Other (please explain)

5. The one thing that I'd change or improve about Slide is.... (please
explain in as much detail if possible)

Waiting for the level two implementation of the JCR.

A.J. de Vries

Re: Quick Survey of Slide Usage

Posted by Henry Story <hj...@bblfish.net>.
On Thu, 8 May 2003, James Higginbotham wrote:

> Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 19:35:14 -0500
> From: James Higginbotham <jh...@betweenmarkets.com>
> To: slide-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Quick Survey of Slide Usage
>
> Hi,
>
> I was hoping that everyone using Slide would answer a few questions so
> that we could see where our common usage scenarios lie. Simply Mark an X
> next to your selection. If you can't release all information do to a
> NDR, please provide as much as you can. This survey will simply be used
> to gather information about how others, like myself, may be using Slide
> so that we might be able to exchange implementation strategies and
> common code (if allowed). If nothing else, it may help the Slide
> volunteers better understand how they may need to focus their attention
> on new features. Your contact information will not be released, this
> will not be used in any formal study, but I may submit an email in the
> future with the general results (if people are interested).
>
> 1. How do you interact with Slide?
>     A. I use the low-level APIs (org.apache.slide.*) only and don't care
> about WebDAV
>     B. I use the WebDAV (or WebDAV + Delta/V) API via HTTP

==>     yes. I am trying to replace a mod_dav service

>     C. I use both low-level and WebDAV APIs
>     D. Other (please explain)
>
> 2. What kind of client interacts with Slide?
>     A. I use a custom web-based interface
>     B. I use a WebDAV-compliant client

==>	we are currently using Internet Explorer

>     C. I use a custom in-house application that is not web-based (please
> explain)
>     D. Other (please explain)
>
> 3. What is the license for your project?
>     A. Closed Source, commercial
>     B. Closed Source, non-commercial (freeware or I.T. shop)
>     C. Open Source (please state license used)
>     D. Other (please explain)

==>	It is an internal project, of no interest to anyone but the
	people involved. We are just using WebDav.

> 4. How much time do you spend on your project that uses Slide?
>     A. Full-time (its a product, my daily job)
>     B. Part-time (its part of my week, but not a full time dedicated
> role I play)
>     C. After-hours (its a side project that I'm working on right now)

==>	We allready have something working, but would be interested in
a java solution.

>     D. Other (please explain)
>
> 5. The one thing that I'd change or improve about Slide is.... (please
> explain in as much detail if possible)

==>  It is worrying for a new user to see that no new release has been out
for such a long time.

==>  Perhaps different parts of the application should be split, so as to
allow them to evolve at their own pace. Then there could be releases more
often, of the different subcomponents. The full working system, might
require older versions of each module.

==> I looked at the client code, and thought that there was a lot of
refactoring potential there. I did not spend enough time on it to make a
final judgement. The class hierarchy there seemed a little odd, with
everything inheriting from URI.

Posted by Ryan McDonough <rm...@mac.com>.
On 5/8/03 8:35 PM, "James Higginbotham" <jh...@betweenmarkets.com>
wrote:

 general results (if people are interested).

> 1. How do you interact with Slide?
    C.) I use both with some custom enhancements.

> 2. What kind of client interacts with Slide?
    A, B, & C.

> 3. What is the license for your project?
    D.) TBD.

> 4. How much time do you spend on your project that uses Slide?
    C.) I work on my own app after hours but I've been trying to convince my
employer to look into the project.

> 5. The one thing that I'd change or improve about Slide is.... (please
> explain in as much detail if possible)

Vastly improve the documentation, I think most agree that is lacking. The
code could be documented better too.

More info on the Slide web site as the status of the next release. Right the
project looks dead if you visit the web site. There is no mention of what's
the big game plan for the next release. While there a status page, I can't
tell how recent that information is.

Better control over managing the Slide Domain. I'm using Slide with JBoss
and the configuration is less than ideal. Have the domain initialized by a
servlet doesn't seem like the best when you have all sorts of J2EE options
available to you with JBoss. I know there is an MBean available in the
distribution, but there is absolutely no documentation on how to use it. I'd
be more than willing to collaborate with someone on how best to use Slide as
an MBean in JBoss.

But this project is an absolute godsend. Thank you.

Ryan-

--
"you don't need an SUV... you're a dentist, not the right leg of Voltron."

RE: Quick Survey of Slide Usage

Posted by "A.N Deepak" <an...@cisco.com>.

 The documentation and Samples are really very very less. It extremely
difficult to use.
There has been no changes in the past one year.

Posted by Suzan Foster <su...@mediaware.nl>.

1. How do you interact with Slide?
    A. I use the low-level APIs (org.apache.slide.*) only and don't care
       about WebDAV
   XB. I use the WebDAV (or WebDAV + Delta/V) API via HTTP
    C. I use both low-level and WebDAV APIs
   XD. Other (please explain) - cocoon

[...]

Administrative tools.

grtz, su.

Re: Quick Survey of Slide Usage

Posted by Michael Smith <ms...@speedlegal.com>.
>>PERMISSIONS! I'd like to forbid the parent and grant the child,
>>which isn't possible now. I would like to say: Stop inheritance
>

> This is possible.
> I only use the WebDAV layer.
> Through WebDAV ACL you can deny all on parent and grant all on child.
> However I use Tamino WebDAV (which is based on Slide).

The WebDAV ACL spec is _compeletely broken_ for doing this. It's
explicitly undefined what happens if you try to do so. Inheritable
permissions (which are pretty critical to the way slide's permissions
work) are under-defined in the ACL drafts to the point that they're
unusable in a generic application (knowing the specific implementation
in slide, one can write something, but it's very very limited).

The slide webdav-acl layer obviously maps onto slide permissions, so
what you can do with it is a strict subset of what you can do with
direct slide-API access - but even with such access, the permissions
model in slide is very limited and difficult to use.

Mike

Re: Quick Survey of Slide Usage

Posted by Guido Casper <gc...@s-und-n.de>.
Andreas Probst wrote:
> On 8 May 2003 at 19:35, James Higginbotham wrote:
>
>> 1. How do you interact with Slide?
>>     A. I use the low-level APIs (org.apache.slide.*) only and don't
>> care about WebDAV
>>     B. I use the WebDAV (or WebDAV + Delta/V) API via HTTP
>>     C. I use both low-level and WebDAV APIs
> low-level for read access, WebDAV for write access
>
>>     D. Other (please explain)
>>
>> 2. What kind of client interacts with Slide?
>>     A. I use a custom web-based interface
> yes
>>     B. I use a WebDAV-compliant client
> yes
>>     C. I use a custom in-house application that is not web-based
>> (please explain)
>>     D. Other (please explain)
>>
>> 3. What is the license for your project?
>>     A. Closed Source, commercial
>>     B. Closed Source, non-commercial (freeware or I.T. shop)
> I developed this for an university research institute
>
>>     C. Open Source (please state license used)
>>     D. Other (please explain)
>>
>> 4. How much time do you spend on your project that uses Slide?
>>     A. Full-time (its a product, my daily job)
>>     B. Part-time (its part of my week, but not a full time dedicated
>> role I play)
>>     C. After-hours (its a side project that I'm working on right now)
>>     D. Other (please explain)
> I developed a web-based document management system for my thesis
> (Diplomarbeit) using Slide as its basis. I finished this in
> January.
>>
>> 5. The one thing that I'd change or improve about Slide is....
>> (please explain in as much detail if possible)
> PERMISSIONS! I'd like to forbid the parent and grant the child,
> which isn't possible now. I would like to say: Stop inheritance

This is possible.
I only use the WebDAV layer.
Through WebDAV ACL you can deny all on parent and grant all on child.
However I use Tamino WebDAV (which is based on Slide).

This pretty much answers 1. and 2. :-)
3. A
4. B

> from this particular child node on. Simply pretty much like
> Win2000. Then I'd like to block write access in history without
> disabling versioning or setting scope parameter. I'd like to
> have the same access rights for a VHR as for its associated
> VCR('s).

I agree and I believe there is already something on the way :-)
(This has first to be defined in the ACL specification IIUC)

Posted by Andreas Probst <an...@gmx.net>.
On 8 May 2003 at 19:35, James Higginbotham wrote:

> 1. How do you interact with Slide?
>     A. I use the low-level APIs (org.apache.slide.*) only and don't care
> about WebDAV
>     B. I use the WebDAV (or WebDAV + Delta/V) API via HTTP
>     C. I use both low-level and WebDAV APIs
low-level for read access, WebDAV for write access

>     D. Other (please explain)
>
> 2. What kind of client interacts with Slide?
>     A. I use a custom web-based interface
yes
>     B. I use a WebDAV-compliant client
yes
>     C. I use a custom in-house application that is not web-based (please
> explain)
>     D. Other (please explain)
>
> 3. What is the license for your project?
>     A. Closed Source, commercial
>     B. Closed Source, non-commercial (freeware or I.T. shop)
I developed this for an university research institute

>     C. Open Source (please state license used)
>     D. Other (please explain)
>
> 4. How much time do you spend on your project that uses Slide?
>     A. Full-time (its a product, my daily job)
>     B. Part-time (its part of my week, but not a full time dedicated
> role I play)
>     C. After-hours (its a side project that I'm working on right now)
>     D. Other (please explain)
I developed a web-based document management system for my thesis
(Diplomarbeit) using Slide as its basis. I finished this in
January.

> 5. The one thing that I'd change or improve about Slide is.... (please
> explain in as much detail if possible)
PERMISSIONS! I'd like to forbid the parent and grant the child,
which isn't possible now. I would like to say: Stop inheritance
from this particular child node on. Simply pretty much like
Win2000. Then I'd like to block write access in history without
disabling versioning or setting scope parameter. I'd like to
have the same access rights for a VHR as for its associated
VCR('s).

> Your time is much appreciated!
> James

np