Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> on 2013/10/07 16:40:47 UTC

[SCXML] knock knock?

Hi SCXML developers/community,

We are trying to figure out what the status and activity of SCXML development
is, and and/or who in the community might be interested in re-activating it.

 From the mailing lists and JIRA activity we gather not much has been happening
here for a very long time: the last release 0.9 dates back to December 2008 and
the last serious code commits to June 2011...

Looking back through the history of SCXML, Rahul Akolkar was and pretty much
still is the only maintainer of the code but seemingly no longer able or willing
to contribute much anymore.

So, what to do with Commons SCXML?

To put it bluntly, we would very much like to revive the development of SCXML again.

We are working for Hippo (Open Source CMS vendor) and intend to start using
SCXML as state machine engine in our product shortly.

As the latest release is so old, and based on only Java 1.4, we're looking into
using the Java 6 (J6) branch instead. But this branch is still 'work in
progress' without any release (but targeted at next major version 1.0).

This J6/1.0 branch AFAIK is intended to cover the final SCXML specification [1],
but already running quite a bit behind the latest draft of that specification.
However, this being a W3C specification, having to wait for it to become final
before releasing a next major version of Commons SCXML seems very
counter-productive to me...

Both myself and Woonsan are Apache committers on several other ASF projects for
quite some time, so we know 'how it works'. We would like to get out hands
dirty, start contributing on Commons SCXML, and help move it forward towards a
more current release.

But the question is: is there still anyone out here willing to pick up and
review contributions, discuss stuff, etc.

Hopefully Rahul can chime in (if still listening) and let us know what his ideas
and plans are, or else maybe other active members of the Commons community?

As a minimum we would like to get a Java 6+ compatible version released soon,
maybe as a first milestone release towards 1.0, and incrementally add (more)
compliance to the current SCXML specification.

For this we propose to 'archive' the current stalled trunk (move it to a 0.xx
branch or something), promote the current J6 branch to trunk, and then take it
from there. Website and documentation fixes would be next to pick up and
straighten out and updating the current Maven build. Possibly drop the outdated
Ant build as well if nobody really is using or dependening on it anyway.

As said, we're willing to step up here, but as non committers for Apache Commons
we do need a 'handle' to get stuff moving again.

Thanks, Ate & Woonsan

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/scxml/

Re: [SCXML] knock knock?

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Hi Benedikt,

On 10/07/2013 07:44 PM, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
> Hello Ate,
>
> we are going through some discussions at the moment about how we want to
> organize development at commons in the future [1].

I'm aware of it as I've been subscribed to this list for several months.
So far only lurking but now ready to step up :)

> We are always looking for people that want to contribute so I see no reason
> why you shouldn't dig right into the code.
Great, and I like to start doing so.

But as an 'outsider' still, I do hope to engage and collaborate with the
existing SCXML community, or at least what is left of it.
And if that only is Rahul, I hope he can chime in to help us get rolling.
Otherwise it might be much more difficult, and would depend on others within
Commons to chime in and step up until we would be ready and merited to act
directly ourselves.

> Regarding the reviewing: I don't now the SCXML spec, so I may not be the
> best one to review this kind of contributions.
> But we'll find a way to push SCXML forward.
Cool, and thanks for willing to help!

> Nice that you've joint us.
> Benedikt

Thanks for welcoming us in!

Kind regards, Ate

Re: [SCXML] knock knock?

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello Ate,

http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [SCXML] knock knock?

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for warm welcoming!
We'll clearly communicate and document every feature/issue/task. So, please chime in any time if needed.

Cheers,

Woonsan

Re: [SCXML] knock knock?

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:
> On 10/08/2013 02:18 PM, Rahul Akolkar wrote:
>>
>> Who's there :-)
>>
>> Agree with all your Commons SCXML related comments below.I've been
>>
>> out of time for this for a while; you're welcome to have at it. Being
>> ASF committers helps as discussed down-thread. I'll continue to lurk,
>> but likely won't be active in the immediate future.
>>
>> Welcome to Commons,
>> -Rahul
>>
> Thanks for the welcome Rahul.
>
> Its great to hear you agree to the proposal, and welcoming us to go ahead.
> Too bad you won't be able to participate directly, but we'll make sure to
> properly discuss and propose important changes first, so you still be able
> to chime in any time you feel like it.
>
> And knowing you'll still be lurking is cool: we'll assume no feedback as a
> good sign then :)

<snip/>

Yup, good plan!

-Rahul

> Thanks and regards, Ate

<snap/>

Re: [SCXML] knock knock?

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Re: [SCXML] knock knock?

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
Who's there :-)

Re: [SCXML] knock knock?

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 10/7/13 1:20 PM, Ate Douma wrote:
> On 10/07/2013 08:30 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:
>> On 10/7/13 7:40 AM, Ate Douma wrote:
>>> Hi SCXML developers/community,
>>>
>>> We are trying to figure out what the status and activity of SCXML
>>> development is, and and/or who in the community might be
>>> interested in re-activating it.
>>>
>>>  From the mailing lists and JIRA activity we gather not much has
>>> been happening here for a very long time: the last release 0.9
>>> dates back to December 2008 and the last serious code commits to
>>> June 2011...
>>>
>>> Looking back through the history of SCXML, Rahul Akolkar was and
>>> pretty much still is the only maintainer of the code but seemingly
>>> no longer able or willing to contribute much anymore.
>>>
>>> So, what to do with Commons SCXML?
>>>
>>> To put it bluntly, we would very much like to revive the
>>> development of SCXML again.
>>
>> Great.
>>>
>>> We are working for Hippo (Open Source CMS vendor) and intend to
>>> start using SCXML as state machine engine in our product shortly.
>>>
>>> As the latest release is so old, and based on only Java 1.4, we're
>>> looking into using the Java 6 (J6) branch instead. But this branch
>>> is still 'work in progress' without any release (but targeted at
>>> next major version 1.0).
>>>
>>> This J6/1.0 branch AFAIK is intended to cover the final SCXML
>>> specification [1], but already running quite a bit behind the
>>> latest draft of that specification. However, this being a W3C
>>> specification, having to wait for it to become final before
>>> releasing a next major version of Commons SCXML seems very
>>> counter-productive to me...
>>>
>>> Both myself and Woonsan are Apache committers on several other ASF
>>> projects for quite some time, so we know 'how it works'. We would
>>> like to get out hands dirty, start contributing on Commons SCXML,
>>> and help move it forward towards a more current release.
>>
>> Great.  We give sandbox commit to any ASF committer.  Reply with
>> your availIds and we can get that done immediately.
> Great!
> For Woonsan and me that would be 'woonsan' and 'ate'.
>
>> Commit to
>> commons proper requires a little more process, but we can get that
>> done easily assuming you want to join us as committers.
> We surely do.
> And of course we understand and know that becoming commons proper
> committers does require more. Which we're willing to provide :)
>
> Being committers to the Commons sandbox however won't help us much
> right now as SCXML already is in commons proper. So unless the
> current SCXML J6 branch is 'branched' into the sandbox
> (temporarily), we'll have to rely on others to review and commit
> our contributions.
>
> Maybe such a temporary SCXML 'branch' in commons sandbox would be
> a way to get started?

If you are willing to work like that to start, that would be simplest.

Luc - can you grant these guys sandbox karma?

Thanks!

Re: [SCXML] knock knock?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
I don't see any reason why SCXML can't be "demoted" to the sandbox
since it basically has no community right now.  What say you, folks?

Re: [SCXML] knock knock?

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
> [...]

>> incrementally add (more) compliance to the current SCXML
>> specification.
>>
>> For this we propose to 'archive' the current stalled trunk (move
>> it to a 0.xx branch or something), promote the current J6 branch
>> to trunk, and then take it from there. Website and documentation
>> fixes would be next to pick up and straighten out and updating the
>> current Maven build. Possibly drop the outdated Ant build as well
>> if nobody really is using or dependening on it anyway.
>
> Sounds reasonable.
Great!
If nobody objects I can propose a more definitive and detailed plan in a few
days through a JIRA tickets and if still considered reasonable, hopefully
someone then can 'execute' it.

>> As said, we're willing to step up here, but as non committers for
>> Apache Commons we do need a 'handle' to get stuff moving again.

Thanks!

Re: [SCXML] knock knock?

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 10/07/2013 11:59 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:

>> On Oct 7, 2013, at 2:15 PM, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Le 07/10/2013 20:30, Phil Steitz a écrit :
>>
>>> Great.  We give sandbox commit to any ASF committer.  Reply with
>>> your availIds and we can get that done immediately.  Commit to
>>> commons proper requires a little more process, but we can get that
>>> done easily assuming you want to join us as committers.
>>
>> As veteran ASF committers I trust them to work directly on proper.
>
> +1 we just need nominations / votes on private@

You are quick :)

We would definitely appreciate it and are willing to take this on, if the PMC
accepts and trust us to do so. Or otherwise willing to start slower and build up
the trust in the sandbox first.

It would be good though if Rahul also could chime in.
After all, he created and maintained the SCXML component for many years,
practically all on his own. So if possible we'd like his input and hopefully
support as well...

Thanks, Ate & Woonsan

Re: [SCXML] knock knock?

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Re: [SCXML] knock knock?

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Re: [SCXML] knock knock?

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Yeah, that's great!
> State machine is a generic and simplistic concept which can be applied anywhere.
> In our case (Hippo), we want to leverage SCXML library as a core Document Processing Engine. By exposing state machines in XML with ability to add custom actions and other declarative configurations, we believe it can increase customizability and flexibility in our product a lot.
> I worked at a BPM company for several years in the past, so I'm very familiar with process/workflow management as well, in both state machine based approach or activity-flow based approach. State machine based approach should fit better in our internal core document processing, I think.
>

> I really hope to get involved in Commons-SCXML together. I've also worked for Apache Portals project as committer (and PMC member) for several years and release manager for Apache Portals Applications, too. I have been enjoyed helping users/developers in the mailing lists and contributing to other ASF projects (e.g, commons-lang, log4j2, camel, cxf, etc.). I do respect the community and the Apache Way.
> In any way, I'm really looking forward to helping it.

<snip/>

Cool, glad you're on board then. Thanks for the background above :-)

-Rahul

> Cheers,
>
> Woonsan

<snap/>

Re: [SCXML] knock knock?

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com>.
Yeah, that's great!

Re: [SCXML] knock knock?

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Re: [SCXML] knock knock?

Posted by Juan Antonio Breña Moral <br...@juanantonio.info>.
Hi,

Re: [SCXML] knock knock?

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Re: [SCXML] knock knock?

Posted by Juan Antonio Breña Moral <br...@juanantonio.info>.
Hi Great Idea.

Re: [SCXML] knock knock?

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 10/7/13 7:40 AM, Ate Douma wrote:
> Hi SCXML developers/community,
>
> We are trying to figure out what the status and activity of SCXML
> development is, and and/or who in the community might be
> interested in re-activating it.
>
> From the mailing lists and JIRA activity we gather not much has
> been happening here for a very long time: the last release 0.9
> dates back to December 2008 and the last serious code commits to
> June 2011...
>
> Looking back through the history of SCXML, Rahul Akolkar was and
> pretty much still is the only maintainer of the code but seemingly
> no longer able or willing to contribute much anymore.
>
> So, what to do with Commons SCXML?
>
> To put it bluntly, we would very much like to revive the
> development of SCXML again.

Great.