Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Andrew MacDonald <an...@yahoo.com> on 2005/04/27 20:32:34 UTC

How do I see who's online?

Hello,
I'd like to add a feature to the portal which lists
the users who are currently logged in, similar to that
which many message boards have.
My understanding is that a session context is created
for each user that is logged in. So my thinking is
that I might somehow get a list of all the session
contexts and thereby know who's logged in. But looking
at the API for org.apache.cocoon.environment.Session I
see that "Session information is scoped only to the
current context (Context), so information stored in
one context will not be directly visible in another".
Is there some way around this? Perhaps using the
SessionManager?
I am using Cocoon. 2.1.5 and Tomcat 5.0.27 (if that is
helpful).

Thanks,
Andrew

Re: How do I see who's online?

Posted by André Thénot <an...@thenot.org>.
On Apr 27, 2005, at 14:32, Andrew MacDonald wrote:

> Hello,
> I'd like to add a feature to the portal which lists
> the users who are currently logged in, similar to that
> which many message boards have.

One way to do this is to store the user's name and last-visit timestamp
in some persistent store, eg. a database. This is perhaps not the most
efficient method, but it should answer your need.

AFAIK, the fact that a session can't read other sessions' information
is considered a feature.

A.