Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Peter <ji...@zeus.net.au> on 2014/02/12 06:22:43 UTC

Re: Build system and Java 8 was: Re: [Vote] (RIVER-432) Jar files in svn and src distributions

Well, River doesn't build, throws exceptions, it won't work for client code either and it doesn't support Java 8 features.

I wrote the java 5 language support code, I would rather spend time reorganising the build once, than maintain a build tool.

Just my thoughts.

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
No, I fixed the build system last time to support Java 5 language
features, I don't have the time or inclination to fix it again.
ClassDep needs to be able to find dependencies by analysing byte code.
So to support finding dependencies for Java 8 language features, someone
will need to add that functionality to ClassDep.  Java 9 is due to be
released 2 years later and so we have this maintenance task for writing
new ClassDep code every time there are new language features.

The alternative is use conventions that avoid the need to support and
maintain our own build tool.

I'm suggesting building without classdep.

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com>.
Hi Peter: