Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by "Rastko.pavlovic" <ra...@protonmail.com.INVALID> on 2022/07/23 11:28:37 UTC

Question about Nutch plugins

Hi all,

I've been trying to implement this tutorial https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/nutch/WritingPluginExample on Nutch 1.17. In several places, the tutorial refers to $NUTCH_HOME/src/plugin. However, in my $NUTCH_HOME I only have a "plugin" directory and no src. If I try building the plugin in a sub directory of the "plugin" directory with ant, I get a problem where build.xml complains that it can't find build-plugin.xml.

Does anyone maybe know what am I doing wrong (in case it helps, I use nutch by just unzipping apache-nutch-1.17-bin.tar.gz)?

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Rastko

Sent with [Proton Mail](https://proton.me/) secure email.

Re: Question about Nutch plugins

Posted by Sebastian Nagel <wa...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Hi Rastko,

the description isn't really correct now as NUTCH_HOME is supposed to point to
the runtime

- if the binary package is used: this is the base folder of the package,
  eg. apache-nutch-1.18/

- if Nutch is built from the source, you usually point NUTCH_HOME to
  runtime/local/ - the directory tree below this folder looks pretty much
  the same as the binary package

Older versions of Nutch hadn't this separation of source and runtime.

> I use nutch by just unzipping apache-nutch-1.17-bin.tar.gz)?

If you want to build your own plugin, I'd recommend to start using
the Nutch source package, or even the current master by cloning the
Nutch git repository.

As always for a community project: feel free to improve the tutorial, obviously
it might be out of date.

Best,
Sebastian