Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Romin Irani <ro...@rocketmail.com> on 2002/05/31 07:30:27 UTC

AXIS Book Announcement

Dear AXIS Users,

We are glad to announce the release of our new book
"AXIS: The Next Generation of Java SOAP" from Wrox
Press. The book is released this month and is targeted
for beginner to mid-level users who want to start
looking at Java Web Services using the Apache AXIS
SOAP implementation. This book is also very helpful
for the people who worked on using Apache SOAP 2.2 and
now want to move to AXIS.

The details for the book are given below:

Book Title: AXIS: The next generation of Java SOAP
List Price : $29.99 [ Amazon.com - 20.99 :-)]
Paperback: 250 pages
Publisher: Wrox Press Inc; ISBN: 1861007159; 1st
edition (May 2002)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1861007159/qid%3D1020361022/sr%3D1-3/ref%3Dsr%5F1%5F3/002-6877488-9999243

Chapter Details given below:

Chapter 1: Introduction to Axis - Starts with brief
introduction of SOAP,
WSDL and UDDI and then specifically the various
features of AXIS and
its advantages over the earlier Apache SOAP.
Chapter 2: Getting Started with Axis - Walks through
the features of
AXIS with easy examples
Chapter 3: Architecture of Axis - Discusses the
architecture of AXIS
in detail. Also discusses variouse message patterns.
Chapter 4: Custom Handlers in Axis - Discusses about
how to extend the
core capabilities by writing custom handlers for
input, output and fault
processing.
Chapter 5: Advanced SOAP with Axis - Discusses
advanced features like
Custom serialization, using JMS as transport protocol,
Using HTTPS for
making a secure connection over SSL.
Chapter 6: Interoperability - Discusses
interoperability problems in detail
with examples to demonstrate interoperability
between AXIS service and .NET C# and VB Clients by
passing custom Java
beans and vice versa.
Chapter 7: Future Directions for Axis - Features like
usage of
intermediaries, XML Signatures etc.
Chapter 8: Case study - Covers a supply chain example
for a car
manufacturer.

Appendix
A. TCPMonitor
B. J2EE Integration - Gives examples of accessing a
web
service that communicates to a EJB.
C. JAX-RPC

The book targets the Beta 1 release of AXIS but we
will release updates (if necessary) to the book source
code to
ensure that it works with the current release of AXIS.
Wrox has been kind enough to provide a PDF File for
Chapter 4 : Custom Handlers in AXIS. If any of you
readers are interested in receiving the PDF file,
please send email to either romin@rocketmail.com or
s_jeelani@yahoo.com and we will be glad to send you
the chapter PDF file. Please be aware that the PDF
file is around 1.8 MB in size.

We look forward to receiving feedback from the
readers. And we do hope you enjoy the book.

Thanks and Best Regards,

S.Jeelani Basha & Romin Irani

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

href snag w/ mozilla javascript soap

Posted by Heitzso <he...@bellsouth.net>.
because of possible cyclic reference problems
mozilla javascript (current incarnation anyway)
refuses to touch href's.

I rewrote a class this morning from an array
of objects to several arrays of simple data types,
thinking that I would bypass the href problem that
way.  But axis is still using an href to point
to an external pseudo object with the same contents
as would make sense in the primary object.

i.e. was:
	class A {
		B infoReThisNode = new B();
		A[] children = new A[length];
	}
rewrote to:
	class A {
		int length;
		String[] names;
		String[] descriptions;
		String[] ids;
	}
but axis still serializes the simpler bean using
an href.

I assume I'll need to write my own custom serializer
or return multiple response parameters.

QUESTION 1: I browsed the archive but didn't
see a nice, simple link to a "write your own
custom axis serializer" -- could someone point me
in a good direction?  THANKS.

QUESTION 2: how does java code look that returns
multiple items?  I've written several SOAP methods
but never tried to return multiple unbundled items ...

Again, thanks for the assistance,
Heitzso

RE: AXIS Book Announcement

Posted by Ting Ning <ti...@yahoo.com>.