Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Emaho, Ghoot" <Gh...@PETROTECHNICS.co.uk> on 2001/02/08 15:04:56 UTC

RE: Ted's FAQ "What Web sites are already Powered by Struts?"

With regard to the development tool to use, i would suggest making the
distinction between  - 'fullblown IDEs', 'programmer editors', and 'text
editors'.

I noticed on this thread earlier that most people seem to working with
fullblown IDEs which surprised me a little. Personally, I use Visual Slick
Edit, as does my team [16 developers]. I would class this tool as a
'programmers editor' - as distinct from JBuilder/Visual Cafe etc which I
consider fullblown IDE's. There are advantages and disadvantages to each
type of tool, but this is something rarely pointed out to people -
particularly the people asking the question in the first place !

As final choice is always personal, I think it would be helpful to point out
the specific advantages to working with each type of tool in developing
struts and developing struts based applications - as there is sometimes a
mistaken assumption that the fullblown IDEs are more suitable. This really
depends on what kind of development you are doing - and what kind of
developer you are. [it doesn't depend on rights and wrongs !]

I felt moved to respond to this thread, as choice of development tool can
radically affect an individual's and/or team's performance and efficacy. In
my experience, this is an area somewhat neglected - save for the'HolyWar'
style of exchanges which do not interest me personally.

I would be happy to expand on our development tool of choice and it's
advantages in our context, if there is interest.

Ghoot Emaho

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Josh wrote:

> The ActionServlet seems to be keeping a lot of state data.  It is keeping
> collections of Action and ActionFormBean objects.  When one of these objects is
> instantiated the ActionServlet holds onto it.  Is only one copy of these
> objects kept for the entire application or are these objects kept per user?

The answer depends on which specific objects you are talking about, but
in general
the things that the ActionServlet maintains are in existence only once.
For
example, there is a single collection of Actions, a single collection of
ActionMappings, a single collection of ActionFormBeans, a single
application
resources object, and so on.

> Thanks,
> Josh