Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Lobanov Igor <i....@cft.ru> on 2007/05/23 12:56:18 UTC

What are benefits of pure HTML templates?

Dear community,

Could you tell me what are benefits of using "pure HTML" approach to
creating templates for your pages? As I understand it is one of primary
selling points of Tapestry framework. However I failed to find any
justification for this approach other that you can give it to your HTML
designer even after your placed some components on it. For me this
argument is relevan only for simple applications, because:
1) decent application uses tons of both custom and standard components,
which make bare page template look very different compared to what it
will look like when all components are rendered
2) many templates contain sections which are mutually exclusive when
application page is rendered, but will be simultaneously visible on a
bare template (consider "No data to display" warning instead of grid
control)

Considering all of these, decision to use "pure HTML" templates looks
like completely arbitrary and the matter of taste of Mr. Howard Lewis
Ship. However I suppose I missed an important point here, so I would be
very grateful if somebody shed light on this issue for me.

Thanks in advance!

--
Igor Lobanov

Re: What are benefits of pure HTML templates?

Posted by Christian Haselbach <ch...@tngtech.com>.
Quoting Igor Lobanov <i....@cft.ru>:

> Anyway, Jonathan's suggestion about ease of CSS use is the most appealing to
> me, because nowadays CSS finally became the most powerful facility for
> determining style and position of elements on a page.

I've got to say that this is not so important to me, because I
normally do my CSS editing in Firebug.

And it is also possible to edit CSS in a life system.

Regards,
Christian

Re: What are benefits of pure HTML templates?

Posted by Igor Lobanov <i....@cft.ru>.

Christian Haselbach wrote:

> First of all, why wouldn't you want to use pure HTML templates?
> What are the benefits of using something else or even something new?
>
> Even though I (almost) never look at the templates using a special html
> editor or browser, there are two advantages:
> 1) If your editor knows about html (and most editors do), it will
>     support you correctly.
> 2) You do not need to learn yet another thing.
>
> And you can also use this mechanism to generate other doctypes which are
> similar enough to html.

Well, support from the html-aware editor is interesting idea, however you
also get it if templating language without angle brackets is used - consider
Velocity or FreeMaker. The same goes for other doctypes.

Moreover I do need to learn another thing, because complex "multipart"
components like contrib:Table when shoehorned into jwcid attributes do look,
well, counterintuitive.

Posted by Christian Haselbach <ch...@tngtech.com>.

Posted by Nick Westgate <ni...@key-planning.co.jp>.
Hi Igor.

In addition to the $remove$ suggestion from Jonathan, I'd like to point
out that conversion from your designer's html to a Tapestry template is
much simplified when compared to JSP etc. In many cases, but not all,
the result (including components) are still editable by the designer.

However, this point is not a good reason to choose or dismiss Tapestry,
nor is it Tapestry's "primary selling point".

Cheers,
Nick.

Posted by Jonathan O'Connor <jo...@xcom.de>.
Igor,
pure HTML makes it so much easier to write the CSS. Just open the html file
in a browser, edit the file and css in your IDE, save, and then hit refresh
in the browser. You see the change instantly. Maybe Tap5 will allow this in
a running system, and that's great too.

Another reason: When I am designing a page and its look, I often refer to
HTML and CSS books. I don't want to have to translate their HTML tags into
some funny tapestry version before I use the examples.

Finally, to get around your problems with complex pages, Tapestry has/had
(my experience is only with Tap3) a $Remove$ component. So, you could add
HTML tags from a component, and see it immediately in the browser. Adding
CSS on top of that is easy. This is one of the reasons I hate the JSF
stuff, because the "HTML" looks so ugly. I do hope Tap5 doesn't go down the
same root.

Ciao,
Jonathan O'Connor
XCOM Dublin

             "Lobanov Igor"
             <i.lobanov@cft.ru
                                       <us...@tapestry.apache.org>
             23/05/2007 11:56                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         What are benefits of pure HTML
             "Tapestry users"          templates?
             <users@tapestry.a
                pache.org>

[...]

*** XCOM AG Legal Disclaimer ***

Diese E-Mail einschliesslich ihrer Anhaenge ist vertraulich und ist allein
für den Gebrauch durch den vorgesehenen Empfaenger bestimmt. Dritten ist
das Lesen, Verteilen oder Weiterleiten dieser E-Mail untersagt. Wir bitten,
eine fehlgeleitete E-Mail unverzueglich vollstaendig zu loeschen und uns
eine Nachricht zukommen zu lassen.

This email may contain material that is confidential and for the sole use
of the intended recipient. Any review, distribution by others or forwarding
without express permission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies.

Hauptsitz: Bahnstrasse 37, D-47877 Willich, USt-IdNr.: DE 812 885 664
Kommunikation: Telefon +49 2154 9209-70, Telefax +49 2154 9209-900,
www.xcom.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Krefeld, HRB 10340
Vorstand: Matthias Albrecht, Renate Becker-Grope, Marco Marty, Dr. Rainer
Fuchs
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Stephan Steuer