Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Will Hartung <wi...@msoft.com> on 2003/05/10 02:43:16 UTC

F5 BigIP and Tomcat

Hey all,

We've got a pair of F5 BigIPs here that we're setting up, and I was do some
basic functionality testing with Apache and Tomcat 4.1.18.

Stock Apache works just peachy.

Tomcat, however, doesn't seem to be working as gracefully as one would like.
This is pure Tomcat, not fronted by Apache.

It's a stock, binary distro of 4.1.18 Tomcat running against a 1.2.2 JVM on
a Solaris box, and all I'm doing is running the examples.

I tweaked server.xml to enable the RequestDumper Valve, as I wanted to see
the requests coming in and out of Tomcat.

It seems to me that when Tomcat issues a redirect, it sets the
content-length header to -1, and since it's expecting Keep-Alive
connections, it does not close the socket back to the client.

I'm wondering if the F5 is not interpreting the content-length header
properly, or whether the content-length header is actually properly
formatted (i.e. is -1 a legal value for content-length).

It hangs on these redirects and then things spit right out after the socket
times out and Tomcat closes it (I'm guessing).

For example, when I got the tomcat-docs webapp in the distribution, the
static pages just snap right up.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before?

Any hints or tips?

It's not real vital if only because we'll inevitably front the system with
Apache, but it is a curious behaviour that I'd like to rectify if possible.

Thanx!

Regards,

Will Hartung
(willh@msoft.com)