Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mark London <mr...@psfc.mit.edu> on 2014/04/17 21:12:06 UTC

[users@httpd] HTTPS configuration problem.

Hi - I inherited a web server from another site.   I requested a
wildcard certificate for that server.   What I failed to realize, was
that a wildcard certificate only covers *.XXX.COM.  It won't cover plain
XXX.COM.   And unfortunately, people mainly connect to the site, using
XXX.COM   Thus, people who connect to the server using HTTPS://XXX.COM,
get a warning message, saying that the certificate is not valid.

So I've been trying to find a configuration that redirects
HTTPS://XXX.COM to HTTPS://WWW.XXX.COM.  Unfortunately, every
configuration that I've tried, doesn't work.  All of the rewrite and
redirect rules, are applied after the browser checks the certificate
against the URL.   Thus, the warning web page always appears.

Is there a configuration to do what I want?  Or will I have to request a
certificate for XXX.COM?  (And then configure my SSL.CONF to have 2
virtual hosts, one for WWW.XXX.COM, and one for XXX.COM).   Thanks very
much. - Mark

Re: [users@httpd] HTTPS configuration problem.

Posted by Mark Brodis <ma...@colorado4x4.net>.
Do the users actually connect to "https://xxx.com" ?  Or do they go just to
"xxx.com" in their browser and then a load-balancer/SSL-accellerator
somewhere along the way bumps them to https?

If something was bumping them to https then it would be easiest to just
change that 'bumping' to go from "http://xxx.com" to "https://www.xxx.com",
which ofcourse any webserver could do (with a default document with a
meta-refresh), but most content-source-switches or
local-traffic-managers/loadbalancers could do right in the config (i.e.
they respond to the GET / with a HTTP 302 go-over-here, etc), i.e. actually
function as a limited in-line web-server.

Good luck...

Posted by Mark London <mr...@psfc.mit.edu>.
On 4/17/2014 3:46 PM, Yehuda Katz wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 3:12 PM, Mark London <mrl@psfc.mit.edu <ma...@psfc.mit.edu>>wrote:
>
>     So I've been trying to find a configuration that redirects HTTPS://XXX.COMto HTTPS://WWW.XXX.COM.  Unfortunately,
>     every configuration that I've tried, doesn't work.  All of the rewrite and redirect rules, are applied after the
>     browser checks the certificate against the URL.   Thus, the warning web page always appears.
>

> This is the expected behavior and other than issuing a new certificate and using another vhost (with SNI - generally
> not compatible with Windows XP and some other devices) or reissuing the same certificate with an additional name,
> there is no way around this.

Thanks, that confirms what I thought. - Mark

Re: [users@httpd] HTTPS configuration problem.

Posted by Yehuda Katz <ye...@ymkatz.net>.