Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Gaston Escobar <ge...@451.com> on 2003/02/20 21:26:48 UTC

URGENT PROBLEM

I don't really know where to post this e-mail. I'm sorry in case I've made a
mistake.
I've tried to use the FileUpload package I downloaded. But in the example
code, it throws an error when I try to compile it.
This is the example code that comes with the package:

    public void doPost(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse res)
    {
        FileUpload fu = new FileUpload();
        // maximum size before a FileUploadException will be thrown
        fu.setSizeMax(1000000);
        // maximum size that will be stored in memory
        fu.setSizeThreshold(4096);
        // the location for saving data that is larger than
getSizeThreshold()
        fu.setRepositoryPath("/tmp");

        List fileItems = fu.parseRequest(req);
        // assume we know there are two files. The first file is a small
        // text file, the second is unknown and is written to a file on
        // the server
        Iterator i = fileItems.iterator();
        String comment = ((FileItem)i.next()).getString();
        FileItem fi = (FileItem)i.next();
        // filename on the client
        String fileName = fi.getFileName();
        // save comment and filename to database
        // write the file
        fi.write("/www/uploads/" + fileName);
    }

And this is the error my compiler throws:

UploadServlet.java:34: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : method getFileName  ()
location: interface org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileItem
        String fileName = fi.getFileName();
                            ^
1 error

-----------------------

Please, help me. And in case this e-mail was not correctly posted here, tell
me where I could do that
Thank you very much

Re: URGENT PROBLEM

Posted by Schalk <sc...@volume4.co.za>.
Gaston

What are the fields that are submitted and do you submit sirectly to the
servlet or, is it imported into a jsp page.

Also do you have a file called file_uploaded.jsp to which this servlet will
try and redirect?

Kind Regards »
Schalk Neethling »
Volume4.Development.Multimedia.Branding
.emotionalize.conceptualize.visualize.realize
Tel: +27125468436
Fax: +27125468436
email: schalk@volume4.co.za
url: www.volume4.co.za
Posted by Gaston Escobar <ge...@451.com>.
I tried your code, but now I'm having a problem in the line:
List items = upload.parseRequest(req);

The server produces an internal error in that line! Nothing appears in
catalina.out neither. Do you know what can be happening?
Thanks a lot

 * Created on December 11, 2002, 11:40 PM
 */

[...]

    /** This value is read from the web.xml file and represents the username
     * for your database.
     */
    public String USER;

    /** This value is read from the web.xml file and represents the password
     * for your database.
     */
    public String PASS;

    /** This field value is processed by the <CODE>isFormField()</CODE>
method
     * if this return true. This represents the user for whom this file is
intended.
     */
    public String recipient;

    /** This value represents the name of the field currently processed.
     *
     */
[...]

    /**
     * @throws ServletException  */
    ServletContext context = getServletContext();
    DRIVER = context.getInitParameter("DRIVER");
    URL = context.getInitParameter("PFURL");
    USER = context.getInitParameter("PFUSER");
    PASS = context.getInitParameter("PFPASS");
    }

    protected void processRequest(HttpServletRequest req,
HttpServletResponse res)
    throws ServletException, java.io.IOException {

        res.setContentType("text/html");
        PrintWriter out = res.getWriter();
        Connection con = null;

        try {

            FileUpload upload = new FileUpload();

            upload.setSizeMax(400000000);
            upload.setSizeThreshold(4096);
            upload.setRepositoryPath(temp);

            List items = upload.parseRequest(req);

[...]

:, /");
            int amount = tokenizer.countTokens();
            for (int i = 0; i < amount -1; i++) {
                tokenizer.nextToken();
            }
            String currentFile = tokenizer.nextToken();
            filePath = folder + currentFile;

            item.getInputStream();
            item.write(folder + currentFile);

            item.delete();

            Class.forName(DRIVER);
            con = DriverManager.getConnection(URL,USER,PASS);
            PreparedStatement stmt = con.prepareStatement
            ("INSERT INTO fileexchange (fileName, fileURI, comments, toUser)
" +
            "VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?)"
            );

            stmt.setString(1, currentFile);
            stmt.setString(2, filePath);
            stmt.setString(3, comment);
            stmt.setString(4, recipient);

            int result = stmt.executeUpdate();
                }

        }
    }
res.sendRedirect("file_uploaded.jsp");

        }   catch(FileUploadException fue) {
         fue.printStackTrace();
         out.println("There was and error when reading and writing the file
to the server.");

        } catch(Exception e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
        }
}

    protected void doGet(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse res)
    throws ServletException, java.io.IOException {
        processRequest(req, res);
    }

Re: URGENT PROBLEM

Posted by Schalk <sc...@volume4.co.za>.
Gaston

Try the code below:
/**
 * uploadFile.java
 *
[...]

            List items = upload.parseRequest(req);

[fileupload] example code problem [WAS URGENT PROBLEM]

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
hi Gaston

this is the right list but since it's for a number of components, the
convention is that you prefix your email with the component name. you
should also probably choose a better subject. for more details please read
httpL//jakarta.apache.org/site/mail.html and the mailing guidelines for
this list.

as far as your problem goes, the only thing i can think of is that you
have an old version of fileupload in your classpath. maybe some other
people will be able to give you a better answer.

- robert