Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Tim Piety <ti...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/28 18:54:29 UTC

problems running accumuo

All,

I hope this is a correct email for my question. I never used Accumulo, only
it'd predecessor Cloudbase and I am experienced with hadoop and hbase and
from a developer' perspective. I am not a sysAdmin, but I have installed
all Hadoop and HBase on VM's  before. I am now trying to install Accumulo
on my VM.

I have installed CDH3 and ZooKeeper on a CENTOS 6.3. VM (4G memory). Hadoop
and ZooKeeper appear to run fine. I installed accumulo-1.4.2 and believe I
configured it correctly. I used the accumulo-env.sh in the
conf/examples/1GB/native-standalone as my template.

When I start accumulo using the start-all.sh script I dpo not get any
errors, however I does not return to a command prompt. I also get an error
stating my log4j is not initialized correctly I know that comes when there
is no log4j.proerties or xml file.

When I try to execute accumulo shell I get the following:

[root@localhost bin]# ./accumulo shell
(org.apache.accumulo.start.classloader.AccumuloClassLoader).
log4j:WARN See http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/faq.html#noconfig for
more info.
Thread "shell" died null
    at org.apache.accumulo.start.Main$1.run(Main.java:89)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Accumulo not initialized, there is
no instance id at /accumulo/instance_id
    at
org.apache.accumulo.core.client.ZooKeeperInstance.getInstanceIDFromHdfs(ZooKeeperInstance.java:263)
    at
org.apache.accumulo.core.util.shell.Shell.getDefaultInstance(Shell.java:375)
    at org.apache.accumulo.core.util.shell.Shell.config(Shell.java:303)
    at org.apache.accumulo.core.util.shell.Shell.main(Shell.java:384)
    ... 6 more

I have attached some config files. I'm not sure why accumulo-site.xml and
accumulo-env.sh won;t attach, si I copied them here.I looked through the
log files, but didn't see anything other than listed error.

*accumulo-env.sh:*
#! /usr/bin/env bash

# Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
# contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
# this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
# The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
# (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
# the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
#
#     http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
#
# Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
# distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
# WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
# See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
# limitations under the License.

###
### Configure these environment variables to point to your local
installations.
###
### The functional tests require conditional values, so keep this style:
###
### test -z "$JAVA_HOME" && export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/lib/jdk-1.6.0
###
###
### Note that the -Xmx -Xms settings below require substantial free memory:
### you may want to use smaller values, especially when running everything
### on a single machine.
###

test -z "$ACCUMULO_HOME"         && export
ACCUMULO_HOME=/usr/lib/accumulo-1.4.2
test -z "$JAVA_HOME"             && export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/latest
test -z "$HADOOP_HOME"           && export HADOOP_HOME=/usr/lib/hadoop
test -z "$ZOOKEEPER_HOME"        && export
ZOOKEEPER_HOME=/usr/lib/zookeeper-3.4.5
test -z "$ACCUMULO_LOG_DIR"      && export
ACCUMULO_LOG_DIR=$ACCUMULO_HOME/logs
if [ -f ${ACCUMULO_HOME}/conf/accumulo.policy ]
then
   POLICY="-Djava.security.manager
-Djava.security.policy=${ACCUMULO_HOME}/conf/accumulo.policy"
fi
test -z "$ACCUMULO_TSERVER_OPTS" && export ACCUMULO_TSERVER_OPTS="${POLICY}
-Xmx128m -Xms128m "
test -z "$ACCUMULO_MASTER_OPTS"  && export ACCUMULO_MASTER_OPTS="${POLICY}
-Xmx128m -Xms128m"
test -z "$ACCUMULO_MONITOR_OPTS" && export ACCUMULO_MONITOR_OPTS="${POLICY}
-Xmx64m -Xms64m"
test -z "$ACCUMULO_GC_OPTS"      && export ACCUMULO_GC_OPTS="-Xmx64m
-Xms64m"
test -z "$ACCUMULO_LOGGER_OPTS"  && export ACCUMULO_LOGGER_OPTS="-Xmx384m
-Xms256m"
test -z "$ACCUMULO_GENERAL_OPTS" && export
ACCUMULO_GENERAL_OPTS="-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
-XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=75"
test -z "$ACCUMULO_OTHER_OPTS"   && export ACCUMULO_OTHER_OPTS="-Xmx1g
-Xms256m"
export ACCUMULO_LOG_HOST=`(grep -v '^#' $ACCUMULO_HOME/conf/masters ; echo
localhost ) 2>/dev/null | head -1`

*accumulo-site.xml:*

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--
  contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
  The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
  (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
  the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

  limitations under the License.
-->

<configuration>
        <!--
  Put your site-specific accumulo configurations here.

  The available configuration values along with their defaults
  are documented in docs/config.html

  Unless you are simply testing at your workstation, you will most
  definitely need to change the three entries below.
        -->

    <property>
      <name>instance.zookeeper.host</name>
      <value>localhost:2181</value>
      <description>comma separated list of zookeeper servers</description>
    </property>

    <property>
      <name>logger.dir.walog</name>
      <value>walogs</value>
      <description>The directory used to store write-ahead logs on the
local filesystem. It is possible to specify a comma-separated list of
directories.</description>
    </property>

    <property>
      <name>instance.secret</name>
      <value>DEFAULT</value>
      <description>A secret unique to a given instance that all servers
must know in order to communicate with one another.
                  Change it before initialization. To change it later use
./bin/accumulo org.apache.accumulo.server.util.ChangeSecret [oldpasswd]
[newpasswd],
                   and then update this file.
      </description>
    </property>

    <property>
      <name>tserver.memory.maps.max</name>
      <value>256M</value>
    </property>

    <property>
      <name>tserver.cache.data.size</name>
      <value>15M</value>
    </property>

    <property>
      <name>tserver.cache.index.size</name>
      <value>40M</value>
    </property>

    <property>
      <name>trace.password</name>
      <!--
        change this to the root user's password, and/or change the user
below
       -->
      <value>secret</value>
    </property>

    <property>
      <name>trace.user</name>
      <value>root</value>
    </property>

    <property>
      <name>logger.sort.buffer.size</name>
      <value>50M</value>
    </property>

    <property>
      <name>tserver.walog.max.size</name>
      <value>256M</value>
    </property>
  <property>
      <name>tserver.walog.max.size</name>
      <value>100M</value>
    </property>

    <property>
      <name>general.classpaths</name>
      <value>
    $ACCUMULO_HOME/src/server/target/classes/,
    $ACCUMULO_HOME/src/core/target/classes/,
    $ACCUMULO_HOME/src/start/target/classes/,
    $ACCUMULO_HOME/src/examples/target/classes/,
        $ACCUMULO_HOME/lib/[^.].$ACCUMULO_VERSION.jar,
        $ACCUMULO_HOME/lib/[^.].*.jar,
        $ZOOKEEPER_HOME/zookeeper[^.].*.jar,
        $HADOOP_HOME/conf,
        $HADOOP_HOME/[^.].*.jar,
        $HADOOP_HOME/lib/[^.].*.jar,
      </value>
      <description>Classpaths that accumulo checks for updates and class
files.
      When using the Security Manager, please remove the
".../target/classes/" values.
      </description>
    </property>

</configuration>

    <property>
      <name>tserver.walog.max.size</name>
      <value>100M</value>

thanks, I will not get back to this until after the Holiday, but thought
I'd at least post the question

Tim

Re: problems running accumuo

Posted by John Vines <jv...@gmail.com>.
And when you copy the examples, you should copy all the files, not just a
few. We have the log4j setups in those directories as well.

Posted by William Slacum <wi...@accumulo.net>.
Did you run `accumulo init`? Do you have a `/accumulo` directory in HDFS?