Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Daniel Watford <da...@foomoo.co.uk> on 2020/12/03 12:15:59 UTC

Backing up ofbiz

Hello,

What are the minimal components of an ofbiz deployment that should be
backed up such that it can be restored on a new host?

I know we could grab a copy of the whole filesystem and database, but I
would like to explore how to keep the size of the backup as small as
possible. Part of the reason for this question is to determine what should
be exposed to the host filesystem for a docker deployment.

The things I thought might need backing up are:
- Database dump
- Database configuration ($ofbiz/framework/entity/config/entityengine.xml)
- Base configuration ($ofbiz/framework/base/config/*)
- Common configuration ($ofbiz/framework/common/config/*)
- Any other modified configuration files
- Any customised template files such as
$ofbiz/application/accounting/template/invoice/*

I have left out the plugins directory as I have assumed these would be
installed as part of any deployment script. However any configuration files
for those plugins would need to be backed up.

Where does uploaded content get stored? This will need to be backed up too.

Any comments, additions and removals to the above gratefully received.

Also any war stories about backup strategies you employ, any recommended
tools, experience of performing an emergency restore, how big your backups
get, etc. would be good to share.

Thanks,

Dan.

--
Daniel Watford

Re: Backing up ofbiz

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr>.
Hi Daniel,

From my part, I configure the OFBiz to be sure that no data are present
on the core.

In this case I save tow element :

 * the database

 * /var/lib/ofbiz/

For the second I configure all content, image loading and other file
generation to spot the directory /var/lib/ofbiz who is in general a
network storage.

Concerning ofbiz configuration, all is loaded as code on a separate git
branch for non secret information, and on local server as env or loaded
as secret on the infra as code system (depending the customer site)

With this all code present on the ofbiz core can be crashed and
regenerate from source as you need.

Nicolas