Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/21 12:08:51 UTC

[VOTE] Merge Temp_FopFontsForSVG into trunk

This work allows to directly use FOP-configured fonts for SVG images,
instead of trying to find, via AWT, equivalent fonts installed on the
system, and then mapping them to FOP fonts when generating the output.

Please note that this introduces a dependency on the trunk version of
Batik, with the patch from BATIK-1041 applied. That means that before
releasing the next version of FOP, a new version of Batik will have to
be released first.

This vote will run until Monday, 26 August 11:00 UTC.

+1 from me.

Thanks,
Vincent

Re: [VOTE] Merge Temp_FopFontsForSVG into trunk

Posted by Clay Leeds <th...@gmail.com>.
This looks like a great and important step. Nice work Vincent!

I have similar concerns as Pancho, so when the BATIK patch is applied I'll vote +1.

Regards,

Clay

Clay Leeds  #  949-510-8993  @  the.webmaestro@gmail.com

Posted by Pascal Sancho <ps...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
pascal

Re: [VOTE] Merge Temp_FopFontsForSVG into trunk

Posted by Pascal Sancho <ps...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Like Clay, I don't want to block the merge process, I just want to know
about the future of Batik (more precisely the FOP dependency on it).
So, consider that my vote is +1.

Great job, Vincent.

--
pascal

Re: [VOTE] Merge Temp_FopFontsForSVG into trunk

Posted by Clay Leeds <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Meyer <rm...@hotmail.co.uk>.
+1

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Vincent,

On 21/08/2013 11:08, Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> This work allows to directly use FOP-configured fonts for SVG images,
> instead of trying to find, via AWT, equivalent fonts installed on the
> system, and then mapping them to FOP fonts when generating the output.
>
> Please note that this introduces a dependency on the trunk version of
> Batik, with the patch from BATIK-1041 applied. That means that before
> releasing the next version of FOP, a new version of Batik will have to
> be released first.
>
> This vote will run until Monday, 26 August 11:00 UTC.
>
> +1 from me.

+1

I also share the concerns of Pascal and Clay. However, I really see that
as a separate discussion that the PMC needs to have about the future of
Batik. I've been meaning to start it but I'm really busy ATM. In the
meantime there is a practical solution to the dependency issue as
mentioned by Luis.

> Thanks,
> Vincent

Thanks,

Chris

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Merge Temp_FopFontsForSVG into trunk

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Time to sum up. We have 6 +1, the vote passes.

That said, there have been reservations expressed about the dependency
on a patched version of Batik. So I’ll defer the merge until the PMC has
found a viable solution for Batik’s future.

Thanks,
Vincent

Posted by Luis Bernardo <lm...@gmail.com>.
+1

Since currently fop depends on a batik milestone release, not on trunk
(except for the gump build), I see no problem replacing the current
batik jar in the lib directory by a patched one. Note that the gump
descriptor will need to be updated if the batik jar in fop is updated
before the patch is applied to batik trunk.