Posted to general@logging.apache.org by Michaël CATANZARITI <mc...@apache.org> on 2004/07/21 06:10:57 UTC

a few remarks about Web sites

Hi all !

These are a few remarks about web sites

Logging:
- I think the main web site should have a direct link to the Apache home page (like in log4cxx, log4net, and log4php)
- May be each sister project should have the same top items in the menu bar
- Each sister project should have the same font
- The "Bug Reporting" section in the logging site is too specific to log4j. How can add a link to log4cxx Jira repository ?

Logj:
In the "Plan" section, the link to "Cactus project's roadmap" is broken
In the "Download" section, the link to log4cxx, logphp, log4net are the old ones but the not the Apache ones. May be could you specify official Apache logging sister projects separately from the other ports.

Theses remarks not only concerning the web sites :

What about having the same XML schema or DTD for all projects with the a main tag "apache.logging" instead of "log4j" or "log4php" or "log4net" ?
We could have some common names for common Layouts and Appender : "apache.logging.FileAppender", "apache.logging.ConsoleAppender", "apache.logging.PatternLayout", but let each sister project add specific appenders and layout.
We could find a common format spec for the PatternLayout.
We could publish the XML schema or DTD (I prefer xchema) on the main logging site.
We could public common UML diagrams (Platform Independant Models, the left branch of the MDA Y) in the main logging site.
We could have a common road map to support new Appenders, Layouts, or common features.

That's all for the moment :-))

Michaël CATANZARITI
log4cxx project manager

Re: a few remarks about Web sites

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
Michaël,

In general, you should know that all Logging Services committers have
access to the logging-site module which
means that you can modify the logging services site whenever you want.

At 06:10 AM 7/21/2004, Michaël CATANZARITI wrote:
>Hi all !
>
>These are a few remarks about web sites
>
>Logging:
>- I think the main web site should have a direct link to the Apache home
>page (like in log4cxx, log4net, and log4php)
>- May be each sister project should have the same top items in the menu bar
>- Each sister project should have the same font

What do you think of the latest changes?

>- The "Bug Reporting" section in the logging site is too specific to
>log4j. How can add a link to log4cxx Jira repository ?

You can fix this yourself. See
http://logging.apache.org/site/logging-site.html although Yoav has added a
log4cxx link.

>Logj:
>In the "Plan" section, the link to "Cactus project's roadmap" is broken
>In the "Download" section, the link to log4cxx, logphp, log4net are the
>old ones but the not the Apache ones. May be could you specify official
>Apache logging sister projects separately from the other ports.

Done by Yoav.

>Theses remarks not only concerning the web sites :
>
>What about having the same XML schema or DTD for all projects with the a
>main tag "apache.logging" instead of "log4j" or "log4php" or "log4net" ?

This was mentioned previously and it makes sense. Note that log4j 1.3 will
not be using a DTD. It does not use a schema currently but it might in the
future.

>We could have some common names for common Layouts and Appender :
>"apache.logging.FileAppender", "apache.logging.ConsoleAppender",
>"apache.logging.PatternLayout", but let each sister project add specific
>appenders and layout.

That would break bw compatiblity...

>We could find a common format spec for the PatternLayout.

Agreed.

>We could publish the XML schema or DTD (I prefer xchema) on the main
>logging site.

Agreed.

>We could public common UML diagrams (Platform Independant Models, the left
>branch of the MDA Y) in the main logging site.

Agreed.

>We could have a common road map to support new Appenders, Layouts, or
>common features.

Agreed.

>That's all for the moment :-))

Note every LS committer can initiate the work on this.

--
Ceki Gülcü