Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com> on 2006/11/11 21:33:41 UTC

[Axis2] Documentation standards

There's been a lot of churn in the documentation lately, IMHO not all of
it useful. For instance, people have been going through replacing
abbreviations (haven't, shouldn't) with the full words (have not, should
not), reformatting HTML so that </p> tags are always on their own line,
and substituting the '&gt;' entity for '>'. None of these changes seem
especially useful to me. The last change, in particular ('&gt;' for '>')
is unnecessary and makes embedded XML more difficult to read when you're
looking at the "raw" document text (i.e., in a text editor rather than a
browser).

I'd like to propose that people do not make arbitrary formatting changes
in the documentation updates. If they're using a tool that forces such
changes they should find a new tool, just as is the case with changes to
the actual code.

  - Dennis

--
Dennis M. Sosnoski
SOA, Web Services, and XML

Re: [Axis2] Documentation standards

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 09:33 +1300, Dennis Sosnoski wrote:
> There's been a lot of churn in the documentation lately, IMHO not all of
> it useful. For instance, people have been going through replacing
> abbreviations (haven't, shouldn't) with the full words (have not, should
> not), reformatting HTML so that </p> tags are always on their own line,

It seems to me s/haven't/have not/g etc. is a good thing in a proper
written document! I don't care about </p> on its own line however.

> and substituting the '&gt;' entity for '>'. None of these changes seem
> especially useful to me. The last change, in particular ('&gt;' for '>')
> is unnecessary and makes embedded XML more difficult to read when you're
> looking at the "raw" document text (i.e., in a text editor rather than a
> browser).

I personally find the &lt;xxx> harder to read than &lt;xxx&gt;. Clearly
YMMV. Whatever it is we need to be consistent, at least within each
document.

> I'd like to propose that people do not make arbitrary formatting changes
> in the documentation updates. If they're using a tool that forces such
> changes they should find a new tool, just as is the case with changes to
> the actual code.

Let's agree on the doc standards and put them up somewhere, maybe next
to the code standards.

Sanjiva.

Re: [Axis2] Documentation standards

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Ron,

Where's is this problem? ('&gt;' for '>')

thanks,
dims

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.