Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Daniel <da...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/21 22:29:58 UTC

Apache diff error: invalid xml

I've come across a strange problem that is only an issue on my Apache hosted
repository.

Using a file:// url this is not an issue.

Using Tortoise, when I try to do a unified diff I get this error:
Error: REPORT request failed on '/svn/logistics/!svn/vcc/default'
Error: The REPORT request returned invalid XML in the response: XML parse error
at line 9: not well-formed (invalid token) (/svn/logistics/!svn/vcc/default)

Doing a diff or unified diff has the same result.
This has been especially troublesome in trying to do a merge.
When doing a merge aforementioned functions don't work and dry run and merge
don't work either (they get the same error).

When I do the exact same procedure with a file:// I don't get any error at all.

Finally, what makes this even more odd is that if I select a single *file* for a
merge it works a little better.
If I set the "From Revision" to the revision *after* the initial add of the
branch file, then:
  Diff seems to work on the merge screen in this case.
  Dry run seems to work
  Merge seems to work
  However, unified diff doesn't work (same XML error described above)

If I set the "From Revision" to the revision *of* the inital add of the branch
file, then:
  Diff still works
  Dry run still works
  Merge still works
  Unified diff has a new error message:
'https://example.com/TestBranchDirectoryURL/test.txt' was not found in the
repository at revision 522

And unified diff still doesn't work.

I'm not sure what the cause of this is.
I we were running server version 1.3.2 and we just upgraded to 1.4 to see if
that would fix the problem (it didn't).

I'm not to knowledgable about the command line interface (so I haven't tried
merging there).  However, the diffs I tried on the command line:
svn diff -r 230 createtabs.sql
done from the within working copy as the current working directory.
had the exact same XML error (actually line number error changes).

Daniel

Daniel

Re: Apache diff error: invalid xml

Posted by Daniel Scharfman <da...@gmail.com>.
On 9/26/06, Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:

> On 9/22/06, Daniel <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Garrett Rooney <rooneg <at> electricjellyfish.net> writes:
> >
> > > It's actuall most likely a problem in either an older version of
> > > Subversion's client libraries (for getting the data in there in the
> > > first place), or in your Subversion server (for not encoding it
> > > correctly on the way out).  What version of svn are you using on the
> > > server?
> >
> > Just installed 1.4 yesterday hoping that that would get rid of this
> problem.
> > Didn't seem to help.  I was actually surprised that the apache modules
> didn't
> > upgrade when I did the subversion install (maybe that was an error?)
>
> What do you mean "apache modules didn't upgrade"?  They should have.
> If you browse your repository in a web browser what does the "Powered
> by Subversion version ..." thing at the bottom of the directory
> listings say?
>
> -garrett

Errr....you're right.  Just ran install again.  Same result.  Doesn't seem
to change the version number.....okay let me get the .zip file I guess.
Subversion *recognizes* Apache and says it's doing the install.  And then I
guess it doesn't.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 9/26/06, Daniel <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Garrett Rooney <rooneg <at> electricjellyfish.net> writes:

> > > Just installed 1.4 yesterday hoping that that would get rid of this problem.
> > > Didn't seem to help.  I was actually surprised that the apache modules didn't
> > > upgrade when I did the subversion install (maybe that was an error?)
> >
> > What do you mean "apache modules didn't upgrade"?  They should have.
> > If you browse your repository in a web browser what does the "Powered
> > by Subversion version ..." thing at the bottom of the directory
> > listings say?
> >
> > -garrett
> >

> Wow.  I copied over the Apache files from the subversion folder into the Apache
> modules folder:
> intl3_svn.dll
> libapr.dll
> libapriconv.dll
> libaprutil.dll
> libdb43.dll
> libdb44.dll
> libeay32.dll
> mod_authz_svn.so
> mod_dav_svn.so
> ssleay32.dll
>
> and it seems to be working great now (at least checking unified diff, I haven't
> tried merge yet).
>
> Thank you very much for pointing out that install check thing.  That was a
> pretty silly mistake.

No problem.  I mean it was a bug that you found, just a bug we had
already fixed ;-)

-garrett

Re: Apache diff error: invalid xml

Posted by Daniel <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Posted by Daniel <da...@gmail.com>.
Garrett Rooney <rooneg <at> electricjellyfish.net> writes:

> It's actuall most likely a problem in either an older version of
> Subversion's client libraries (for getting the data in there in the
> first place), or in your Subversion server (for not encoding it
> correctly on the way out).  What version of svn are you using on the
> server?

Just installed 1.4 yesterday hoping that that would get rid of this problem.
Didn't seem to help.  I was actually surprised that the apache modules didn't
upgrade when I did the subversion install (maybe that was an error?)

Before the 1.4 update I think we were using 1.32, I believe.  Not sure of the
exact number, definitely 1.3x though.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 9/22/06, Daniel <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As you say, isn't this a bug in Tortoise?  Shouldn't this be filed as a bug with
> the Tortoise developers?

It's actuall most likely a problem in either an older version of
Subversion's client libraries (for getting the data in there in the
first place), or in your Subversion server (for not encoding it
correctly on the way out).  What version of svn are you using on the
server?

> Also, as an aside, how could I quickly write a python script using the
> subversion APIs, to correct my entire repository of authors?
> It really would be a very simple script, just remove that ampersand and make it
> NY-SB....but it's for every revision.

Well, hang on, lets not jump to conclusions here, this could actually
just be a server bug, and you could get around it by upgrading the
server.

-garrett

Re: Apache diff error: invalid xml

Posted by Daniel <da...@gmail.com>.
> On 9/22/06, Garrett Rooney <rooneg <at> electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
> Ok, Daniel sent me the output of the neon debug trace offline, and
> here's the interesting bit of it:
>
> <D:creator-displayname>NY-S&B\dscharfman</D:creator-displayname>
>
> Note the & in there.  What happened here is that somewhere in the
> repository (revision 488 I think) there's a svn:author property that's
> got an ampersand in it, when it should have been encoded.  This could
> have happened via several means (a non-DAV client that was buggy, for
> example), but that's neither here nor there.
>
> Now to fix it, I believe the easiest way is to use file:// access to
> the repos and do an svn pset --revprop -r 488 svn:author
> some-name-without-an-ampersand file:///path/to/repos.
>
> -garrett

As you say, isn't this a bug in Tortoise?  Shouldn't this be filed as a bug with
the Tortoise developers?

Also, as an aside, how could I quickly write a python script using the
subversion APIs, to correct my entire repository of authors?
It really would be a very simple script, just remove that ampersand and make it
NY-SB....but it's for every revision.

I'm not really familiar with the SVN APIs and iterating through every revision
and through every file sounds intimidating if you don't even know how to start.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Posted by Daniel <da...@gmail.com>.
Garrett Rooney <rooneg <at> electricjellyfish.net> writes:

> On 9/22/06, Daniel <daniel123+svn <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I checked the server, all the running services.
> > It's not running any firewall.
> >
> > I've found the servers config file and made the adjustment.
> >
> > However, and this will sound silly, I can't figure out a good way to log the
> > results.
> >
> > Is there a good way to do that?
>
> It writes the output to standard error, so on a Unix machine I'd do
> something like svn diff blah blah 2>log.txt, maybe that'll work on a
> windows shell (I honestly don't know, don't have a windows box around
> right now to try).
>
> -garrett

Wow, I got it.  I was piping the output not the standard error output or
something like that.  This microsoft site explains how to do it

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/redirection.mspx?mfr=true

where and how should I send the output file?

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Posted by Daniel <da...@gmail.com>.
Garrett Rooney <rooneg <at> electricjellyfish.net> writes:
> Well, in that case I'd suggest getting us either a network trace of
> the problem (via ethereal or something like that) or a neon debug
> trace (you'll need Subversion 1.4 on the client for windows to do
> that, it wasn't turned on for previous versions).
>
> For getting a neon debug trace, look at the servers config file on
> your client, specifically the section about neon-debug-mask.
>
> -garrett

I checked the server, all the running services.
It's not running any firewall.

I've found the servers config file and made the adjustment.

However, and this will sound silly, I can't figure out a good way to log the
results.

Is there a good way to do that?

Sorry.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.