Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by John Athayde <bo...@meticulous.com> on 2005/07/28 22:50:21 UTC

FreeBSD 5.4 issue - can't connect from external client (replicable)

I've got a problem with my subversion install. It works on the server
locally via SSH, but when I try to connect remotely, it unexpectedly
cuts out. I've documented it here:

http://boboroshi.backpackit.com/pub/177991

Anyone have any ideas?
--

John Athayde
bobo@meticulous.com

Meticulous | www.meticulous.com (work)
Rotoscope | www.rotoscope.com (sound: rock band)
Boboroshi & Kynz | www.boboroshiandkynz.com (sound: electronic)
Personal Weblog | www.boboroshi.com (play)

          - Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
                        Reply of the Pennsylvania Assembly to the
Governor
                                  November 11, 1755

Re: FreeBSD 5.4 issue - can't connect from external client (replicable)

Posted by John Athayde <bo...@meticulous.com>.
(plain text this time. Sorry Chris)

Jacob -

I start svnserve with the following command

svnserve -d -r /usr/local/svn

Which results in it listening on port 3690, but I believe only tcp6

Netstat -n -p -tcp returns:

cuba# netstat -n -p tcp
Active Internet connections
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address
(state)
tcp4       0      0  68.165.240.237.22      68.165.240.234.41208
ESTABLISHED

My reasons for installing from source was because some people who
were helping me out suggested that method. I could very well make
deinstall and make reinstall on that with the port.

As far as the svnserve vs. apache, I was planning on using a
different web interface, so I didn't install the apache module for
it. I will go ahead and try that out.

Thank you for the suggestions.

-J

Posted by Jacob Atzen <ja...@aub.dk>.
On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 06:50:21PM -0400, John Athayde wrote:
> I've got a problem with my subversion install. It works on the server
> locally via SSH, but when I try to connect remotely, it unexpectedly
> cuts out. I've documented it here:
>
> http://boboroshi.backpackit.com/pub/177991
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

Hi John,

You haven't documented your server setup. Perhaps somebody might be able
to help out if you tell us how you start svnserve.

What does 'netstat -n -p tcp' tell you? Is the port open after you start
svnserve?

I assume you have your reasons to install subversion from source instead
of ports, I find the latter much easier, but maybe that's just me.

Also I assume you have your reasons to use svnserve instead of apache.
If not you might want to try the apache way. I found it to be easier in
my network configuration - ymmv of course.

--
Cheers,
- Jacob Atzen

Re[2]: FreeBSD 5.4 issue - can't connect from external client (replicable)

Posted by "Sergey A. Kobzar" <ks...@uaic.net>.
Hello Christopher,

Friday, July 29, 2005, 2:59:37 AM, you wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 18:50 -0400, John Athayde wrote:
>> I've got a problem with my subversion install. It works on the server
>> locally via SSH, but when I try to connect remotely, it unexpectedly
>> cuts out. I've documented it here:
>> http://boboroshi.backpackit.com/pub/177991
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas?

> Perhaps not using HTML mail.  But this might solve your problem.

>     http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2005-05/1841.shtml

> Cheers,
> Chris

The problem is not in Subversion. You have to correctly setup you sshd
server. Probably it allow only key-based authentication.

--
Best regards,
 Sergey                            mailto:ksa@uaic.net

Re: FreeBSD 5.4 issue - can't connect from external client (replicable)

Posted by Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org>.

PGP Public Key: http://www.nesser.org/pgp-key/