Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Thomas Vandahl <th...@hm-informatik.de> on 2003/03/18 14:33:42 UTC

Intake checks empty form

Hi there,

after much fiddling I was finally successful getting Intake to run. We
are using TDK2.2.0 My forms contain a couple of "required" fields. For
some reason, if I open an empty form, Intake insists that these fields
are invalid (which in fact they are, because the form is empty!) Why
does Intake try to validate my empty form and how do I avoid that?

Thanks in advance, Thomas.

Re: Money for Sample app/documentation

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com> writes:

>No problem, I just think there are other ways to do it. I don't like the
>idea of charging users for documentation.

Same here. I still think that it's a shame that there is no really
good docs on Log4j and the only people really being able to write docs
about it (the developers) don't have any interest in this because they
want their book to be sold.

	Regards
		Henning

Re: Money for Sample app/documentation

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com> writes:

>I would rather raise money and pay someone like Pete Kazmier who has
>written the best Turbine-related documentation I've seen to date.

To what documentation are you relating? The xdocs or is there more
turbine docs somewhere?

	Regards
		Henning

Re: Money for Sample app/documentation

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2003-03-18 at 13:01, pavel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In previous email Henning offered to make the sample app if there was a
> sponsor. Well, what do you think about charging users a little money for
> documentation.

Absolutely not. I would raise money to pay someone to do the
documentation but I would never charge users for documentation. Good
documentation costs money in some form or another. But I think it's
insidious to give away the code and then charge for documentation. I
find the idea repulsive.

> Open source such as JFreeChart or JBoss charge $40 or $90 for
> detailed documentation. TDK saved our company definitely more than $100 and
> would have saved more if there was a good documentation.

I would rather raise money and pay someone like Pete Kazmier who has
written the best Turbine-related documentation I've seen to date.

> So, what I am thinking is that somebody would create the
> documentation/sample app and then when it is finished Turbine would start
> charging users and the developer could get paid. So it would not be money
> upfront or during but after.
>
> Definittely our company would have no problem to pay some money for good
> documentation/sample app.
>
> This approach may not comply with the rules in this comunity. If it does not
> I am sorry. Just trying to help.

No problem, I just think there are other ways to do it. I don't like the
idea of charging users for documentation.

> With regards,
>
> Pavel Kusch

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Money for Sample app/documentation

Posted by pavel <pa...@icecentric.com>.
Hi,

In previous email Henning offered to make the sample app if there was a
sponsor. Well, what do you think about charging users a little money for
documentation. Open source such as JFreeChart or JBoss charge $40 or $90 for

LDAP again

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <th...@hm-informatik.de>.
Hi folks,

well, I made it. I got LDAP authentication working with Turbine 2.2 and
OpenLDAP. It works a little bit different than before but it works. I
even can set an AccessControlList from LDAP attributes of my choice. If
anyone is interested, I can provide the fixes as soon as I am satisfied
with the results (RSN!).

Now, here is the question: The authenticate() method of LDAPUserManager
completes sucessfully if the password is *empty*. It fails (as
expected), if the password is wrong. It suceeds, if the password is
correct. The key lines are probably (from bind())

            env.put(Context.SECURITY_AUTHENTICATION, "simple");
            env.put(Context.SECURITY_PRINCIPAL, username);
            env.put(Context.SECURITY_CREDENTIALS, password);

            ctx = new javax.naming.directory.InitialDirContext(env);

username is the DN like in "cn=John Doe,o=Dufftown Destilleries,c=UK"

I can solve this with Intake so that an empty password is rejected, but
I am curious. What goes wrong here?

Bye, Thomas.

RE: Intake checks empty form

Posted by Chris K Chew <ch...@fenetics.com>.
> From: Thomas Vandahl [mailto:thomas.vandahl@hm-informatik.de]
>
> It was the former. Found it, fixed it. Thanks and sorry for the trouble.

Great!  I am happy to hear that you got it working.  I encourage you to add
your stumbling point and solution on the Common Intake Problems Wiki page:

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JakartaTurbine2Faq/CommonIntake
Problems

Thanks,

Chris

RE: Intake checks empty form

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <th...@hm-informatik.de>.

I am fairly new to Turbine, so ...

Bye, Thomas.

RE: Intake checks empty form

Posted by Chris K Chew <ch...@fenetics.com>.
> From: Thomas Vandahl [mailto:thomas.vandahl@hm-informatik.de]
>
> after much fiddling I was finally successful getting Intake to run. We
> are using TDK2.2.0 My forms contain a couple of "required" fields. For
> some reason, if I open an empty form, Intake insists that these fields
> are invalid (which in fact they are, because the form is empty!) Why
> does Intake try to validate my empty form and how do I avoid that?

Hello.

I am not quite yet following...what do you mean by "if I open an empty form,
Intake insists that these fields are invalid".  Is this when you are
initially displaying the form to populate it, or when you are validating it
in the action that receives the form?  If it is the former, then I would
guess that you are doing something strange in your template.

It will be helpful if you can send condensed intake.xml, screen class and
screen template files that generate the form.

It's a blizzard here in Denver,

Chris