Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at> on 2007/04/18 18:36:03 UTC

RFC - Releasing fulcrum-yaafi 1.0.5

Hi folks,

I would like to release the current version of fulrum-yaafi-1.0.5-dev
as 1.0.5 to enable to commit my current refactoring.

The main problem is that fulcrum-yaafi got too fat over the time. The
main task is to move he interceptor support into a seperate library
exposing a ServiceManager only. This allows to support different
implemenation and decoupling of the service framework, e.g. to use newer
versions of JAMon.

+) Are there other requirements out there I'm not aware?
+) Any comments before I call a final vote?!

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

Re: RFC - Releasing fulcrum-yaafi 1.0.5

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Siegfried Goeschl wrote:

> I would like to release the current version of fulrum-yaafi-1.0.5-dev as
> 1.0.5 to enable to commit my current refactoring.
>
> The main problem is that fulcrum-yaafi got too fat over the time. The
> main task is to move he interceptor support into a seperate library
> exposing a ServiceManager only. This allows to support different
> implemenation and decoupling of the service framework, e.g. to use newer
> versions of JAMon.
>
> +) Are there other requirements out there I'm not aware?
> +) Any comments before I call a final vote?!

Hi Siegfried,

There are actually a few things that need to be done:
1. We need to CodeWrestle the licenses into order.
2. We need to produce the release distribution and site somewhere where
we can see it so that we are actually voting on the end product
3. We have a vote and upon success notify the existing PMC and then
deploy the distribution and site to the "real" location.

Scott

Re: RFC - Releasing fulcrum-yaafi 1.0.5

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Siegfried Goeschl wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I would like to release the current version of fulrum-yaafi-1.0.5-dev as
> 1.0.5 to enable to commit my current refactoring.
+1

> +) Are there other requirements out there I'm not aware?
> +) Any comments before I call a final vote?!
Just go ahead.

Bye, Thomas

Re: AW: RFC - Releasing fulcrum-yaafi 1.0.5

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi Juergen,

I don't want to pack a small release together with a multi-project Maven
2 migration ... :-)

Personally I think

+) Maven 2 is mature enough to try an upgrade
+) we are loosing Maven 1 knowhow over the time so we should switch
+) maybe this would be a nice exercise for me when preparing TLP since
I'm now a heavy Maven 2 user

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

Re: AW: AW: RFC - Releasing fulcrum-yaafi 1.0.5

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Jürgen Hoffmann wrote:
> Hi Siegfried,
>
>> I don't want to pack a small release together with a multi-project Maven
>> 2 migration ... :-)
>
> I could at least try, couldn't I? ;)
There is nothing stopping you from trying anything :) but Siegfried is
obviously keen to get a release of Yaffi out and wants to avoid the
potential delay that a relatively invasive change such as migrating the
build system might cause.

I am inclined to agree that maven 2 has many advantages over maven 1 for
a multiproject build like fulcrum, but I would prefer to see a little
more discussion before we do so.  In particular, we should probably
cover exactly what will be converted, by who and in what timeframe and
most importantly the directory structure that will be used.

This is probably a good candidate for a small plan to be created in the
Wiki.

It is great that both you and Siegfried are keen - let's just agree on a
few details before we all unintentionally head off in different directions.

Scott

[DISCUSS] migration to maven2

Posted by Juergen Hoffmann <ho...@apache.org>.
Hi Scott and all,

As Scott suggested, I would like to start a Discussion about moving our Build
System including M.E.T.A. to maven2. Are there any Pitfalls we have to know
about, that somebody has encountered elsewhere? Is the tim spent in doing such
a move worth it in the end? And most important, who could contribute to
achieving such a goal?

Any Thought or 2 cents are definitely welcome.

Juergen

Posted by Jürgen Hoffmann <jh...@byteaction.de>.
Hi Siegfried,

Posted by Juergen Hoffmann <ho...@apache.org>.