Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Zhenyu Zheng <zh...@gmail.com> on 2019/07/08 11:49:25 UTC

[Hadoop] Question about protobuf

Hi Hadoop:

I was trying to build Hadoop on AArch64 platform recently, and I've
encontered some issues, one of them is about protobuf 2.5.0, the lowest
version of protobuf can be provided on AArch64 is 2.6.1 and that causes
version mismatch error when try to build Hadoop as hadoop requires 2.5.0, I
noticed there was an issues filed 3 years ago:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-13363 and there was quite a
lot discussion at the beginning but not much actions since last year. I'm
just wondering, are there any conclusion or updates on this issue? Or are
there any official walkaround on this issue? Because I can find some pretty
hacky way to solve the problem but seems too hacky... for example:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/protobuf/fwLF5_t3q3U and
https://github.com/apache/bigtop/blob/master/bigtop-packages/src/common/hadoop/do-component-build#L45-L105

Thanks in advance,

Kevin Zheng