Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com> on 2012/04/20 22:13:06 UTC

[MENTOR] release candidate

Early next week we hope to start posting release candidates.  In the initial iterations many of the Apache documentation requirements will not have been completed but we'd like to have people download, build and start testing the code.  Our thought is that we could have a thread on the mailing list where we collect issues that need to be addressed before we can release.

The Apache release docs specify where to upload an actual release but there is no mention of where a release candidate should be put so that developers can access it.  Is there a specific location for release candidates?

Carol

Re: [MENTOR] release candidate

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Apr 21, 2012, at 9:29 PM, Alex Harui wrote:

> On 4/21/12 4:28 AM, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 10:13 PM, Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:
>>> Early next week we hope to start posting release candidates...
>>
>> Cool!
>>
>> Note that IMO we cannot accept a release under the Flex name before
>> the ASF has explicit permission to use that trademark. I have updated
>> FLEX-3 with the latest status.
>>
>> This doesn't prevent going forward with release candidates, just
>> wanted to make sure people are aware of that issue.
> Yes, we expect the RCs to be pulled back several times before we ask the
> IPMC for approval.  Not only do we have to work out the Trademark issue, we
> will be asking the mentors to make sure that we are handling various
> binaries correctly.

The LICENSE and LICENSE.bin files at the root of the SVN trunk need to properly broken up into LICENSE / NOTICE and LICENSE.bin / NOTICE.bin.

Please see these two pages.

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-license

http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice

LICENSE is about the Apache License 2.0 plus any additional category-A compatible licenses.

NOTICE is for copyright and similar informationabout the included source code likely starting with the Adobe copyright.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 10:13 PM, Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:
> Early next week we hope to start posting release candidates...

Cool!

Note that IMO we cannot accept a release under the Flex name before
the ASF has explicit permission to use that trademark. I have updated
FLEX-3 with the latest status.

This doesn't prevent going forward with release candidates, just
wanted to make sure people are aware of that issue.

-Bertrand

Re: [MENTOR] release candidate

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 10:27 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Apr 20, 2012, at 1:13 PM, Carol Frampton wrote:
>
>>... The Apache release docs specify where to upload an actual release
> but there is no mention of where a release candidate should be put so
> that developers can access it...
>
> A common way would be for the "Release Manager" to put the candidates
> into their people.apache.org account's public_html folder and then have
> an email, wiki and/or site page link to the RC....

IMO release candidates should be announced here only, not on websites.

As the "what is a release" section at
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html says, the project is not
suppose to publicize its releases beyond this list until they've been
voted on.

-Bertrand

Re: [MENTOR] release candidate

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.