Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Issac Goldstand <ma...@beamartyr.net> on 2002/01/21 11:34:14 UTC

RFC: Thumbnail generator

I recently decided that Apache::Gallery is really nice if you want to
sit down and start fiddling with templates, but that I needed to make a
"quick-easy" version for myself.  The design is to be extremely simple,
and is divided into two seperate modules.  The first is an on-the-fly
thumbnail  generator (currently supports only jpeg), which is just a
spiced up implementation of Image::GD::Thumbnail.  The second is a
directory index generator, which displays each file name and a link to
the picture, using URIs to the on-the-fly thumbnail generator to show
the previews.

Ideas are welcome, but my main questions are:
1) Put it on CPAN?
2) Namespace?

  Issac

Re: Thumbnail generator

Posted by Dave Hodgkinson <da...@davehodgkinson.com>.
Issac Goldstand <ma...@beamartyr.net> writes:

> Part of the idea here is to do everything on-the-fly so that changes
> on the filesystem (in terms of adding/removing pictures) will
> IMMEDIATELY take effect (including caching, etc) on the web interface.
> That means no thumbnails to start with.

Yeah, but cache early, cache often.

--
Dave Hodgkinson, Wizard for Hire         http://www.davehodgkinson.com
Editor-in-chief, The Highway Star           http://www.deep-purple.com

Re: Thumbnail generator

Posted by Issac Goldstand <ma...@beamartyr.net>.

Re: Thumbnail generator

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> ImageMagick is way too slow for use in a production system.
> Especially if your resizing large images into thumbnails.

Apache::ImageMagick will cache the created thumbnail, so it only has to be
done once and can it automaticly recreate the thumbnail if the pictures on
disk changes.

Gerald

Re: Thumbnail generator

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@valueclick.com>.
On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Robert Landrum wrote:

[...]
> >You may want to take a look at Apache::ImageMagick (if you not already
> >have). It's let's you create thumbnails very easy (just two parameters
> >pic.xxx/scale?geometry=100x100) and ImageMagick supports over 80 different
> >formats. It also handles conversion from 4 color pictures to RGB for your
> >thumbnails and many other things, if you need them.
>
> ImageMagick is way too slow for use in a production system.
> Especially if your resizing large images into thumbnails.  I suggest
> sacrificing space for speed and pre-generating all your thumbnails.

I do that too (with Image::Magick).  If the pictures are large it
takes forever to scale them even with a more efficient lib.

> Most of the time libjpeg will do everything you need, including
> scaling.  I suggestion GD with Jpeg support or Inline.pm/C/libjpeg
> for real time conversion of jpegs.

libjpeg doesn't (afaik) do sharpening/unsharp mask and the two
billion other things that are nice to have if you are trying to get
a high quality output.

http://photo.netcetera.dk/g/snow|2002/01/01/DSC_0126.jpg;size=me

:-)

 - ask