Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Charles Givre <cg...@gmail.com> on 2019/08/08 16:49:35 UTC

[DISCUSS]: Drill after MapR

Hello all,
Now that MapR is officially part of HPE, I wanted to ask everyone their thoughts about how we can continue to release Drill without the MapR owned infrastructure.  Assuming that HPE is not likely to continue supporting Drill (or maybe they will, but I'm guessing not) what infrastructure does the community need to take over?
Can we start compiling a list and formulating a plan for this?
Thanks,
-- C

Re: [DISCUSS]: Drill after MapR

Posted by Paul Rogers <pa...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Charles,

Thanks for raising this issue.

The short answer is probably "the cloud." The longer answer should include:

* Who will manage the AWS/GCE instances?

* Who will pay for the instances?

* The MapR infrastructure uses the MapR file system and Hadoop distro. Probably should use Hadoop (or EMR) for Apache. Who will do the port?

* The test framework itself is public in the MapR Github repo [1]. Perhaps it should migrate to the Apache Drill repo?

* The tests are run within MapR using a very nice Jenkins job that Abhishek created. How can we make this public and port it to the cloud?

We might look at what Impala did. Cloudera hosts a pubic build system: anyone can submit a build job (though the jobs are throttled, etc.)

Thanks,
- Paul

[1] https://github.com/mapr/drill-test-framework

Re: [DISCUSS]: Drill after MapR

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Assuming that HPE won't support continued development is not warranted.
There is a risk in all change, but assuming the loss of support isn't
correct.

That said, the community should be able to release independently of any
single company, assuming that Apache has enough resources.