Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Daniel Crown <da...@mailgratis.com.ar> on 2001/08/09 07:45:20 UTC

Xalan/ICU integration bugs?

Hello there,

I'm running Xalan-1.1 with Xerces-1.4 and ICU 1.6, and I'm having some weird
problems that I think that might be bugs on the ICU integration.
Please note that I performed the installation _exactly_ as it is specified
on the docs and I tried to compile all the things on two separate servers
with different Linux versions (RH 6.2 and 7.0). I also tried using
combinations of Xerces 1.5.1 and ICU 1.8.1.

Here goes the problems that I'm having with ICU and Xalan/Xerces:

- If I compile Xerces using the icu message loader with 'runConfigure -p
linux -m icu -t icu', the file
$XERCESCROOT/src/util/Platforms/Linux/LinuxPlatformUtils.cpp fails to
compile and is not included on the xerces shared object.
The only way to create a working shared object is to compile Xerces using
the inmem message loader.

And below are some strange behaviors:

- This is what happens testing testXSLT on a XML / XSL files encoded with
UTF-8:

Using <xsl:output method="html" encoding="iso-8859-1"/>:

[root@neo bin]# ./testXSLT -IN salida.xml -OUT salida.out -TTC
========= Parsing salida.xml ==========
Parse of salida.xml took 10 milliseconds
========= Parsing and preparing http://neo/neo/ab.xsl ==========
Parsing and init of http://neo/neo/ab.xsl took 110 milliseconds
=============================
Transforming...
Line #4, Column #25: xsl:template match="/"
Line #5, Column #7: html

Line #21, Column #47: font
Line #27, Column #32: #text    XSL Warning: Unknown Exception

XSLException Type is : TranscodingException
Message is : An error occurred while transcoding!

Using <xsl:output method="html" encoding="big5"/> gives a segfault:  (or
other shift-jis, etc)

[root@neo bin]# ./testXSLT -IN salida.xml -OUT salida.out -TTC
========= Parsing salida.xml ==========
Parse of salida.xml took 20 milliseconds
========= Parsing and preparing http://neo/neo/ab.xsl ==========
Parsing and init of http://neo/neo/ab.xsl took 120 milliseconds
=============================
Transforming...
Line #4, Column #25: xsl:template match="/"
Line #5, Column #7: html

Line #21, Column #47: font
Line #27, Column #32: #text    XSL Warning: Unknown Exception
Segmentation fault

However, if I run testXSLT without any tracing arguments, the file is
generated correctly for all output encodings.

- I have the following CGI test shell script:

#!/bin/sh
echo Content-type: text/plain
echo
/usr/local/src/xml-xalan/bin/testXSLT -IN
/usr/local/src/xml-xalan/bin/salida.xml -OUT /tmp/salida.out

The interesting thing here is that if I run this script from the prompt, the
output file is created correctly.
However, if I run it as a CGI, the generated output file is a zero bytes
file. Same happens using Standard Output.
(I have all the ICU and Xalan/Xerces libraries on the path)

Do you have any ideas about what can be causing this?

TIA,
~ Daniel C.
UTN FRBA