Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com> on 2017/12/08 10:56:24 UTC

[DISCUSS] Redundant Virtual Routers on VMware?

All,

Is anyone using redundant virtual routers with VMware, either in VPCs or isolated networks (with recent or older versions of ACS)?

Due to the current redundant virtual router implementation, it fails to work with VMware where public nics (on rVR) have the same MAC address (especially when portgroup security settings have promiscuous mode disabled). I'm kicking this discussion thread to seek advise from the community and discuss if we can skip rVR related tests for VMware (they've been failing for 1-1.5+ years now).

Regards,

Rohit Yadav

Software Architect, ShapeBlue

http://rohityadav.cloud | @rhtyd

  __?.o/  Apache CloudStack
 (    )#     May the cloud be with you!
(___(_)   https://cloudstack.apache.org

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: [DISCUSS] Redundant Virtual Routers on VMware?

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Thanks all for your feedback.

I found an issue with the vm_tempalte configuration for systemvmtemplates. When you've a fresh installation of CloudStack with VMware 5.5 or above, it uses the guest_os_id 15 (which is Debian 32-bit) and it causes VMware to half-allocate the configured default RAM of 256MB. In my test environments based on VMware 55u3 and 65u1, I found VRs to only get about 157MB RAM.

This is not an issue for non-rvr networks, but in case of rVR network (isolated or VPCs), the redundant VR (specifically the master VR) would crash frequently due to OOM triggered kernel panic. This issue could be fixed if you update the guest_os_id for the VMware systemvmtemplate to id=99 (other64Linux, or something newer like Debian7 64-bit or above). Due to backward compatibility for VMware 5.0+, id=99 was used as newer OS are not supported on older vCenters.

With this fix and couple other optimization tricks (such as not rebooting on patching and not rebooting again to reconfigure nics/macs and use udevadm), I could get VMware to pass those rVR smoketests so there is no need to skip rVR tests on Vmware now! With that said, this feature still may not be suitable for production usage though.

- Rohit

--

Posted by da...@zv.fraunhofer.de.

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.