Posted to dev@kyuubi.apache.org by Kent Yao <ya...@apache.org> on 2022/03/09 08:23:19 UTC

[DISCUSS] Become A Committer of Apache Kyuubi

Hello PPMC and community,

In this thread, I want to discuss our committer requirements for
contributors that are willing to move from contributors to committers.

Hope to build a consensus with the following proposal.

===============================

# Become A Committer of Apache Kyuubi

Anyone being supportive of the community and working in any of the
CoPDoC areas can become an Apache Kyuubi committer. The CoPDoC is an
acronym from ASF to describe how we recognize your contributions not
only but code.

- **Co**mmunity - You can join us via our mailing list, issue
trackers, discussions page to interact with community members, and
share vision and knowledge
- **P**roject - a clear vision and consensus are needed
- **Do**cumentation - without it, the stuff remains only in the minds
of the authors
- **C**ode - discussion goes nowhere without code

Apache Kyuubi community strives to be meritocratic. Thus, once someone
has contributed sufficiently to any area of CoPDoC they can be a
candidate for committer-ship and at last, voted in as a Kyuubi
committer. Being an Apache Kyuubi committer does not necessarily mean
you must commit code with your commit privilege to the codebase; it
means you are committed to the Kyuubi project and are productively
contributing to our community's success.

## Committer Requirements:

There are no strict rules for becoming a committer or PMC member.
Candidates for new committers are typically people that are active
contributors and community members. Anyway, if the rules can be
clarified a little bit, it can somehow clear the doubts in the minds
of contributors and make the community more transparent, reasonable,
and fair.

### Continuous contributions

Committer candidates should have a decent amount of continuous
engagements and contributions (fixing bugs, adding new features,
writing documentation, maintaining issues boards, or answering
community questions) to Kyuubi either by contributing to the codebase
of main or website GitHub repositories.
- +3 months with light activity and engagement.
- +2 months of medium activity and engagement.
- +1 month with solid activity and engagement.

### Quality of contributions

- Well tested, well-designed, following Apache Kyuubi coding
standards, and simple patches.
- Well-organized and detailed user-oriented documentation.

### Community involvement

- Be active on the dev mailing list and help mentor newer contributors
and users.
- Be active on the issue tracker for project maintenance
- Be involved in the design road map discussions with a professional
and diplomatic approach even if there is a disagreement

===============================

Thank you for all your feedback and time. If there are no strong
objections, I will put this on our website.

BR,

Kent Yao

Re: [DISCUSS] Become A Committer of Apache Kyuubi

Posted by Kent Yao <ya...@apache.org>.
Thanks All,

The doc has been updated on the official website[1]

Feedbacks are still welcome.

BR,

Kent Yao

[1] https://kyuubi.apache.org/become_committer.html

Posted by Kent Yao <ya...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kent Yao <ya...@apache.org>.
Hi Willem,

Thanks for the input. LGTM, I will address the comment.

BR,

Kent Yao

Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com> 于2022年3月10日周四 16:21写道:

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kent Yao <ya...@apache.org>.
Fix typo

> The CoPDoC is an acronym from ASF to describe how we recognize your
contributions not only but code.

The CoPDoC is an acronym from ASF to describe how we recognize your
contributions not only *by* code

Kent Yao <ya...@apache.org> 于2022年3月9日周三 16:23写道:

Posted by Kent Yao <ya...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Vino,

It is a good suggestion for giving stimuli to contributors.

Will make a full plan for incentives at [1] and discuss it with the
community later. Suggestions are welcome.

BR,

Kent Yao

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-kyuubi/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#easter-eggs-for-contributors

Vino Yang <ya...@gmail.com> 于2022年3月10日周四 18:26写道:

Posted by Vino Yang <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kent,

Posted by Kent Yao <ya...@apache.org>.
Hi Vino,

Posted by Vino Yang <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kent,

Posted by Kent Yao <ya...@apache.org>.
Hi Pan,

Posted by Kent Yao <ya...@apache.org>.
 Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for pointing those out.

The section here ' Become A Committer of Apache Kyuubi' is one part
that I raised in this thread for a community consensus.

 The full-page on our website will cover all Apache Roles. It will include

- Become A User of Apache Kyuubi
- Become A Contributor of Apache Kyuubi
- Become A Committer of Apache Kyuubi
- Become A PPMC of Apache Kyuubi
- Become A Member of Apache Kyuubi

The contributions will be mainly detailed in the section `Become A
Contributor of Apache Kyuubi`,
We'll try to list them as thoroughly as we can, but not exhaustive.

About the requirements for being a committer, as I described above,
they are not strict rules that we shall follow blindly
, but general instructions help us to reduce our differences and
doubts to some extent.

Also for PPMC, committers may also be invited to be part of PPMC,
ensuring the project’s vitality if they are willing to
help the community grow after becoming a committer. All the rules
listed, I think, still apply not strictly.

BR,

Kent Yao

Posted by Cheng Pan <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Jiang <ni...@apache.org>.