Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2013/03/24 11:23:05 UTC

Download page: add "Official Site" to the title

I've just added "Official Site" to the HTML "title" element in
http://www.openoffice.org/download/
(and to the test pages that may replace it for future releases) in the
hope that this will make it easier to identify the official site for
people who use search engines.

If you believe that this change won't have the intended effect, or on
the contrary that "Official Site" should also be added to other sections
of our website, feel free to modify the pages accordingly.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Download page: add "Official Site" to the title

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 6:23 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> I've just added "Official Site" to the HTML "title" element in
>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/ ...
> That might help some, but I'd recommend going even further and adding
> a<meta name=description" content="foo">  to the header as well.

OK. I've now added a line to the HEAD section too, copying it from other
existing meta information. Again, feel free to fix/improve.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 6:23 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> I've just added "Official Site" to the HTML "title" element in
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/
> (and to the test pages that may replace it for future releases) in the hope
> that this will make it easier to identify the official site for people who
> use search engines.

That might help some, but I'd recommend going even further and adding
a <meta name=description" content="foo"> to the header as well.  If
you look at the synopsis that Google currently returns for the page,
it is not very informative.  But if you add a good sentence or two to
a meta description, Google sometimes will use that in its search
results instead.

-Rob

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 10:21 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 1:00 PM, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de>
> wrote:
> > Am 03/24/2013 11:23 AM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> >
> >> I've just added "Official Site" to the HTML "title" element in
> >> http://www.openoffice.org/download/
> >> (and to the test pages that may replace it for future releases) in the
> >

> > Ah, right, there is still some work to do. Thanks for this little
> reminder.
> > ;-) I think Eastern is quite nice to make some changes.
> >

> >> hope that this will make it easier to identify the official site for
> >> people who use search engines.
> >>
> >> If you believe that this change won't have the intended effect, or on
> >> the contrary that "Official Site" should also be added to other sections
> >> of our website, feel free to modify the pages accordingly.
> >

> > It's good to point this out in the webpages to make it clear in the
> Google
> > serach results.
> >
> > However, when searching now it's already very good - even when Google has
> > not yet optimized the search results:
> >
> > http://www.google.de/search?q=openoffice+download+official
> >
> > The first result is already our download page.
> >

> But no one queries for "openoffice download official".  They search
> for "openoffice" or "openoffice download"
>
> For those queries we do see the wrong sites showing up via sponsored
> placements.   By putting "official' in our title and description we
> help the user notice the right site in the listings, even if there is
> a sponsored ad on the page as well.
>
> -Rob

hopefully yes...

> > The next 3 results point to "www.openoffice.org" webpages and the sixth
> is
> > the blog post with "How to Safely Download Apache OpenOffice".
> >
> > Marcus

MzK

"Achieving happiness requires the right combination of Zen and Zin."

Re: Download page: add "Official Site" to the title

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.