Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Bookworm <qm...@bkwm.com> on 2006/10/17 06:04:16 UTC

[OT] Re: Domain names (Was: Any comments of the SpamHaus lawsuit?)

Jo Rhett wrote:
> Bookworm wrote:
>> Just as a FYI, .com, .org, .edu, .mil, .gov, and .net were developed
>> by the US when DNS was first being conceptualized.   There were
>> enough computers on the (D)ARPNET backbone that it was getting
>> confusing to track hosts files.  At that point, there wasn't a .us,
>> .au, .gb, .de, or the others.  Those came slightly later.
>  (trimmed)
>
> Incorrect.  .us has existed for nearly as long, but had really a fixed
> 3-layer structure that prevented most people from using it.  The three
> layers only had structure for states, cities, etc.
>
> It meant to simplify, but it mostly confused non-techy people.  Only
> recently was .us normalized so that it could be used by .us companies.

"Nearly as long" - but not as long.  Remember, when this started, all of
the people involved were inside of the US.  That's why I said 'slightly'
later.  (further in the email, I pointed to the site listing the
document that was used to come up with the country codes)

Troy