Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by AlexanderSavelyev <ga...@rambler.ru> on 2016/04/14 13:54:43 UTC

a question about CLA and contributions to the project

Hello!

I am considering a possibility of active participation in Apache Ignite community. One formal question, which I have not found an answer to in FAQs and anywhere else: Is it a mandatory prerequisite to sign an Apache contributor license agreement to engage in community and submit code/contributions?

Does situation change, if from a formal standpoint if the contributions will be made by my employer - a company?

Thank you very much for your time and answers in advance!

Regards,

Alex

Re: a question about CLA and contributions to the project

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Alexander,

Having ICLA for contributors is 'nice to have' but isn't mandatory.
Once when/if a person is invited to become a committer, the ICLA is the must.
It is called ICLA for a reason: I == Individual

If your employer is going to do a donation of existing code, it will have to
go through the process of signing SGA or CCLA. For more information please
check [1]

From a personal experience and what I was seeing for many years now: if you're
really interested in contributing and work with the project beyond your
existing engagement with the employer, I'd go with simple ICLA: it is less
formal, easier to do. And last but not least, the job is just a job, but OSS
involvement is often-times something that lasts for a long time, during which
one can change a job a number of times.

Cheers,
    Cos

[1] https://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas