Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Mat Schaffer <ma...@schaffer.me> on 2016/05/23 05:28:34 UTC

Spark for offline log processing/querying

I'm curious about trying to use spark as a cheap/slow ELK
(ElasticSearch,Logstash,Kibana) system. Thinking something like:

- instances rotate local logs
- copy rotated logs to s3
(s3://logs/region/grouping/instance/service/*.logs)
- spark to convert from raw text logs to parquet
- maybe presto to query the parquet?

I'm still new on Spark though, so thought I'd ask if anyone was familiar
with this sort of thing and if there are maybe some articles or documents I
should be looking at in order to learn how to build such a thing. Or if
such a thing even made sense.

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this has already been asked and I
missed it!

-Mat

matschaffer.com

Re: Spark for offline log processing/querying

Posted by Renato Marroquín Mogrovejo <re...@gmail.com>.
We also did some benchmarking using analytical queries similar to TPC-H
both with Spark and Presto, and our conclussion was that Spark is a great
general solution but for analytical SQL queries it is still not there yet.
I mean for 10 or 100GB of data you will get your results back but with
Presto was way faster and predictable. But of course if you are planning to
do machine learning or ad-hoc data processing, then Spark is the right
solution.

Renato M.

Posted by Mat Schaffer <ma...@schaffer.me>.

Posted by Jörn Franke <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sonal Goyal <so...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mat,

I think you could also use spark SQL to query the logs. Hope the following
link helps

https://databricks.com/blog/2014/09/23/databricks-reference-applications.html